Honest Opinions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I know, people post these all the time. But I want opinions because I am not sure how I feel about it. I can't seem to get this 10gl shrimp tank to be beautiful. Any advise on what I should get? All comments are welcome and appreciated.

This was my first attempt at rock work and the background I just changed to the blue from a black one. The background is the only thing that I actually think I did right! But if you disagree by all means please let me know.

What I like the most is the right corner, I like the cave and the java moss around it.  I am thinking the grass like stuff might grow and block the view there (forget what that stuff is called).  To me, the other 2/3s left of that doesn't seem finished.... like the rocks need some sort of framing.  The rocks remind me of those rock walkways that are all random shaped stones and they have plants or moss growing between... would be nice if you could recreated something like that... and maybe something behind as well.

To me, it lacks focus.

There's nothing like the piece of wood in the tank in your sig that really draws the eye. I can see what you're doing with the path but it draws the eye to the background, which looks lovely, but it means that you don't initially see anything else.

Personally I'd pull the wood or the rocks nearer the front of the tank and angle the path more so that it looks like it's disappearing behind something.

So you have a tree stump, what you need is a ton of moss at the top of that baby!!!  And, more plant cover on the left side.   I LOVE LOVE LOVE the flagstone rock path, turning that stump into a moss tree would make that tank for sure!!

pinheiro%20manso%20final.jpg

Thank you guys so much! Framing the path was a great idea. And DrRob, I totally agree it lacked focus and you are absolutely right it looked like a path to nowhere which mad no sense. I still don't like the blank space to the left so I think in a couple days when I go to the LFS I am going to get some of that plant that grows on a stem and kinda looks like a pipe cleaner? I can't remember what its called but I had some in my big tank at the beginning and it grew super fast!

ech0o if I knew how to do that with that stump I would TOTALLY do it! I have seen that pic before and drool over it every time I see it.

Continue the remarks! I think true beauty can come from collaboration! Here is the new pic with some the suggestions you guys made. I tried to get the path to go from the cave on the right to the back of the tank and disappear behind the big rocks.I also put some more grass around the outside of the path.  It is a big improvement. Thanks again!

Looks much better.
Needs something tall on the left side to hide the equipment. The eye is drawn to the right corner but wanders back to the equipment on the left. Something tall and bland, vallis or anacharis, not to draw the eye, just as fill.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back