Hobby prices around the world

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My family is possibly planning on moving back to my home country, New Zealand but every time we visit I look into the pet shops and it's so dang expensive. If we move back I may have to give up fish keeping! Awful thoughts. America is expensive but in moderation its not too expensive. It's just starting a tank up that's pricey.

I got back into the hobby after many years but I still had my tanks so that was one expense I didn't have. I replaced my heaters and filters by buying online (E-bay, Amazon) so the price wasn't terrible and went and bought my gravel from a local landscaper. I also bought two 30 gallon tanks with stands at a garage sale. Most of the ornaments were ones I had already and my castle I bought online for less than half it normally went for. It just took time to look for deals and researching what I wanted. I also bought many of my fish when they were on sale.

My family is possibly planning on moving back to my home country, New Zealand but every time we visit I look into the pet shops and it's so dang expensive. If we move back I may have to give up fish keeping! Awful thoughts. America is expensive but in moderation its not too expensive. It's just starting a tank up that's pricey.
I live in USA and am not really familiar with fish in your home land but surely you could keep some “local” fish that would be bright and lively. Anyway good luck.

I have been lucky enough to see a sign in my neighborhood for a free tank. I got a 20G long , several nets, a lid, meds, food, dechlorinator, heater, thermometer, decor and more for free. Watch for people giving such things away. It was like a treasure chest to me!

How do you move fish to new country? I might do it in the future.

How do you move fish to new country? I might do it in the future.
I wouldn't be moving my fish. I would sell my aquariums and fish and have to start again in NZ. The problem is it is so expensive. When we were there last I helped my aunt set up a tank for my cousin and it was really pricey

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back