Hob External Filters?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

khial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with hang on back filters? I have bought a 25 litre tank for my platy fry and then will be home for a Male Betta when the fry have moved up.

its currently running a air powered under gravel filter (I think thats what it is, I've never seen anything like it) and I don't have much confidence in the filter...so i was looking to upgrade to a power one...now the main problem is budget....its ridiculously tight for this tank as it was an emergency purchase...so have been looking at spending no more than £10....now I know I'm not going to get an amazing filter, I just want something that works....new...used...I'm really not fussed

The link below is one I've been looking at followed by a picture of the tank in question.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hang-On-External-Filter-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-All-Pond-Solutions-HO-Range-NEW-/180899878823?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2a1e7917a7

2012-03-17%2018.25.07.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I sold two internal interpet filters on ebay like 3 days ago for 10 quid xD

i wouldnt recommend a HOB filter for fry, it will suck them up....for fry i normally use an internal sponge filter without any substrate in the tank (bare bottom)

on a side note IMO the best HOB filters are aquaclear

I agree with Mikey1 on all he said. Though as a second choice an under gravel filter with 2" of gravel works well.

I have heard alot about about problems with fry being sucked up but have been told putting a net on the end of the filter will prevent this? I don't mind an internal as i have plenty of plants to hide it but with the tank already being small I didn't really want to take up more space

this is an internal one i found thoughhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOYU-FP-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Spray-Internal-water-Filter-Pump-300L-H-750L-H-950L-H-/160927143187?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&var=&hash=item2578015513

theres a few similar to this

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i would just go with something like this.....

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/filters/breeder-sponge-filter-136.html

would something like that be ok for a male betta and maybe a few neon tetras/shrimp?

a filter like that would be fine for a 25l tank....doesnt matter what kind of fish

and would they need cleaning more regular than a power filter, and do they keep the water as clear etc... sorry for all the questions

http://orinoco-aquatics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_6

ive used these a couple of times now they do both the sponge filters which are ideal for fry tank but also do a lot more at a very good price. i highly recommend them

All of my filters are HOB filters, I recently purchased an Aquaclear HOB but until it has been running for a while I wont know if it has any issues. My other types of hob are Aquaworld and AquaOne. The AquaOne filters have a much finer strainer on the intake, which can be good for shrimp and fry but also more prone to getting clogged and needing cleaning. The AquaWorld has a courser strainer but things can go up it, so for fry a sponge on the end of the intake will stop that happening. The bonus of using a sponge like this is it will slow the flow going through the filter making the return less viloent for fry which often hang around the surface, and the fry will pick all sorts of goodies off the sponge.
I would not run a sponge on the end of the filter permanantly it may cause the pump to burn out early, but while fry are small it will be fine.

Same as what mikey is suggesting but a fraction of the price... i used the small sponge filter for mine and it was perfect for the job.

definately becoming more convinced on the sponge filters...just not sure on the one i have in there now...it looks nothing like the ones online....and it has a gravel section at the bottom??? where are you supposed to position them in the tank?

and would they need cleaning more regular than a power filter, and do they keep the water as clear etc... sorry for all the questions

no....actually they require LESS cleaning....a sponge filter like the one i suggested only needs to be rinsed once every 4-6 weeks, and it lasts a lifetime....very easy maintainance.....simple, cheap, and very effective

rinsing too often will do more harm than good

I think I will do that then, dI I have to have a powerful air pump or will any be ok, and do they just sit on top the gravel, and the base buried?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back