High Ammonia Levels In Late Stages Of Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

`Peter

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone so it is about week 5 in my fishless cycle and I ran into some trouble recently. I did everything correctly the first few weeks: Dosed about 4ppm of ammonia until I saw nitrites shoot up and then I decreased dosage to 3ppm until they came down to 0 which they currently are. Problem is once my nitrites got back to 0 and I saw nitrates, my ammonia went up and hovered around 0.25ppm. I also saw algae growth and that "established aquarium" smell which I assume is good.

Currently my ammonia is stagnant at 2ppm and doesnt seem to be going down. My nitrites have dropped and are still 0 and my nitrates are below 5ppm. I did a 70% water change last week and had a bacteria bloom/cloudy water right after

You can see that other topic here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/391006-cycle-problem-help-d/

I havn't added any ammonia in about 3 days because it is still 2ppm every day I test it. My nitrites are fine at 0 and I don't have to worry about the nitrates because I just did a water change last week.

What could be the problem? My tank is 24G/90L with live plants and driftwood and couple days ago I removed some rotting leaves from some small plants which I thought was the issue but it wasn't. Plants are doing great btw some assorted swords and anubus.

Sometimes the cycle stalls due to drop in the ph with the rise in nitrates. Check your ph. You had done a large water change but may need another.

+1 oh level could of crashed causeing it to stall. What temp is your water. I found when I cycled with plants and wood my ph kept dropping all the time do I used bicarbonate to boost it back up.

I also recommend checking your pH and dosing some bicarbonate of soda if it's low. I learnt this the hard way.

I keep my temperature at 84 F high to help bacteria grow and all. But thanks I'll check the pH

Ok thanks everyone, I checked my pH and its really low at 6.4 when my tap is 7.6 o.0.

What should be my next step? Should I just do a 90% WC or just add the bicarbonate of soda first? Also where can I purchase this soda bicarbonate (is it just baking soda and how much would I need to add)and if I can't find it would normal pH increasers from top fin in stores work just fine?

Your tap water should be checked 24 h from tap. I.e leave in a cup or bowl for a day and then measure as it can change.
You can water change or add bicarb. I used bicarb. Use a table spoon and then re test an hour later. Optimum is 8.2 but high 7 is good.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back