Hi!

Lukefishy

Reaction score
Hello! After having a very successful tank as a teenager/20 something, I’m now back at it as my 4yo son was desperate for a fish tank for his birthday. His choice was a very bright assault on the eyes…! But going well and no deaths (yet!) we have three corys, two dwarf coral blue gouramis, 6 neons and four rummy tetras.

Attachments

• C288E3A5-0840-4983-AC68-584EA4B8A5C1.jpeg
    C288E3A5-0840-4983-AC68-584EA4B8A5C1.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 6EEFDF93-435C-4B3F-A387-78DF240712B0.jpeg
    6EEFDF93-435C-4B3F-A387-78DF240712B0.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 6D62CD1E-0393-4582-BB82-B33C54D6BFBF.jpeg
    6D62CD1E-0393-4582-BB82-B33C54D6BFBF.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 29
It is defiantly a very bright tank but the decorations look great! What size is the tank, and do you know if the dwarf gouramis are both male because they might show aggression and it is not recommended to keep more than one male but other than that looks amazing!!!

:hi:

Depending on the tank size you may want to increase the cory population as they are shoaling fish and three isn't enough. May also need more tetras if the tank is large enough.

LOL! The tank burned my eyes but actually looks decent. ;)

Haha yes it SO bright…! But he’s 4 and I couldn’t say no… the jellyfish are hilarious!

The tank is only 65L and we weren’t sure what was too many fish. The rummy’s and neons tend to hang out together but the corys all seem quite solo? They’re so busy all the time cleaning and eating it’s fun to watch. The gouramis are both male I think and so far they seem to behave with each other though the larger one is starting to ne a bit pushy…

Would love some advice on what is the right amount of fish for the tank - the pet shop was clearly useless as it sold us two male gouramis and said we’d only need one Cory!

Your tank is a bit overstocked. Normally the rule is 1inch of fish per gallon but not in all cases. If the gouramis start to bully or attack each other I would re-home one of them so they don’t get severely hurt each other. The school of neons and rummy noses are ok size wise but I would add 3 more Cory’s. If your son agrees it might be a good idea to change the substrate to sand so it is easier on the Cory’s whiskers but if not the gravel is good. Some more plants maybe even some live plants would be good to help the fish hide a bit such as Amazon swords, red root floaters, and hornwort. If you add the live plants I would add some liquid fertilizer as the directions say.

Thanks for the tips! Yes plan was to get some live plants I am not a huge fan of the plastic but they do look ok for now. If the tank is overstocked, how can it take three more corys…? The gravel is smooth and cost a lot of money it wasn’t the cheapy stuff so hopefully it’s ok for them? Would hate for them to be uncomfortable! I’ll keep an eye on the gouramis…
Your tank is a bit overstocked. Normally the rule is 1inch of fish per gallon but not in all cases. If the gouramis start to bully or attack each other I would re-home one of them so they don’t get severely hurt each other. The school of neons and rummy noses are ok size wise but I would add 3 more Cory’s. If your son agrees it might be a good idea to change the substrate to sand so it is easier on the Cory’s whiskers but if not the gravel is good. Some more plants maybe even some live plants would be good to help the fish hide a bit such as Amazon swords, red root floaters, and hornwort. If you add the live plants I would add some liquid fertilizer as the directions say.

Yea the gravel should be fine. I only said that the 3 Cory’s should be added so they have a good sized school if you were to re-home one of the gouramis.

Hi & welcome to TFF... :hi:
That's a bright colored tank indeed... 😊

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back