Hi There

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yes, the consensus is the paper test strips are very unreliable. It can be hard to cough up the dough, but a fishkeeper has to be able to depend on accurate testing or it all turns into a lottery, and more dead fish likely will be the result.

I'd find at least temporary homes for the fish and do a fishless cycle.

"hmmmm perhaps i should give them up with the plec tonight and do a fishless cycle? i could always get them back? or maybe they would be better off in another home until i know what i'm doing."

Yes, the consensus is the paper test strips are very unreliable. It can be hard to cough up the dough, but a fishkeeper has to be able to depend on accurate testing or it all turns into a lottery, and more dead fish likely will be the result.

Erm, wrong topic?

huh? i'm confused :) am i in the middle of a domestic????

i asked about the paper test kits a bit further up along with a query regarding your earlier post...

;)

Sorry ... jumped the gun a bit there
blush.gif

When you cleaned up the tank, did you use tap water? If you did, and you have chlorinated water, you probably killed off all the bacteria built up. Made the same mistake when I was starting out. We learn from our mistakes. You can keep the fish you have and do a fish in cycle, or rehome them and do a fishless cycle. If you do a fish in cycle, be prepared to do ALOT of water changes. The liquid test kits are much better than the paper strips. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. We will all help as much as possible.

When you cleaned up the tank, did you use tap water? If you did, and you have chlorinated water, you probably killed off all the bacteria built up. Made the same mistake when I was starting out. We learn from our mistakes. You can keep the fish you have and do a fish in cycle, or rehome them and do a fishless cycle. If you do a fish in cycle, be prepared to do ALOT of water changes. The liquid test kits are much better than the paper strips. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. We will all help as much as possible.

yeah i used tap water, then used the chlorine liquid when refilling.

chances are i've goosed up the good bacteria :angry: my own fault for rushing in.

i'm not too bothered about doing lots of water changes as its only a small tank so i fish in cycle isnt a massive deal for me, plus it will give me something constructive to do.

how should i go about changing the gravel and ornaments? is it best to do that now when cycling or later when the cycle is complete?

To start with, don't buy anymore fish right away. Lets work on getting the tank cycled first. I'm not familiar with that filter, but I think it's the same as an undergravel filter. If that's the case, most of your bacteria is in the gravel. Since it's a small tank, you could do this one of two ways, as I see it (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please): 1. Tear it all down again. Wash everything in TANK water. Rince your new gravel in tank water too. Set it up the way you want it. Add fish back into the tank. Do daily ( or more if needed) water tests and water changes. Check your water for ammonia and nitrite. If you have a reading for either above 0, do a water change. This process could take a month or more, unless you get lucky. Sounds like the fish have already been stressed pretty bad, so this may not be the best idea. Or #2: Let the tank cycle and worry about redecorating later. The only problem I see with this is the fact that it's an undergravel filter and replacing the gravel, at any point, could cause another cycle. I used undergravel filters years ago, but the maintanance is a pain in the ***. You could put some of the old gravel into a media bag and leave it in your tank to seed the new gravel. That would help.

thanks, i think that it makes sense to change the gravel now.

i'm now on the lookout for a cheap water testing kit....

i'm soooooooooo tempted to go with the paper ones.

The paper test strips are cheaper, but you get many, many, many more tests with the liquid and they are much more accurate. Believe me, I go for as cheap as possible. My husband has been out of work for over a year. His unemployment has run out and my 15 year old had a baby. I have had to use shop lights on top of my tanks instead of aquarium lights, I've been making my own fish food, and I had to replace a filter and couldn't afford the one I wanted so I replaced it with a cheap China knockoff from ebay. But I will not use the paper strips. I had some very bad readings from them. Got my first test kit 2 years ago and I will never go back to the strips.

argh my cheap new hobbie isnt going to be cheap afterall :D
test kit £25.00
gravel £10.00
bubble tube cover £25.00
pebbles £10.00
moss balls £5.00
plus some sexy new fish...... (when its cycled)

and its only a tiny tank!!! dont think the better half will be too chuffed about my new "little" hobbie anymore :lol:

i suppose the test kit and gravel for now are only £35.00 ish and its my birthday next week so i might get treated :good: then i can add the rest as and when funds and cycling allow.

did i mention its my birthday next week B-) donations/gifts are more than welcome :good: :good:

i know what you mean mate, i started off with 350 quid and now have 90 quid :sad:

Will have to get a job lol!

well bruce the plec has gone to his new home tonight, and i've just done a 80% water change and the remaining fish seem a lot happier.

going to get some new gravel and a water testing kit at the weekend. :good:

well, he's somewhere a lot bigger for him to grow out of now lol!

Most reactions

Back