Hi all, new to forum

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FoxFish01

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here so here's my introduction. I'm in my 30's. Had tropical fish since (well my mum did) ever since I was in my teens. Loved shopping for new unusual fish with my mum and taking care of the little swimmers. We've had a variety and learnt along the way and still learning. I moved out when I was 21yrs old, a couple hours distance and would often visit and help with the tank cleans. Lockdown kept us separated and then in January 2021 mum passed away after contracting covid and having multiple organ failure. For 12 months the fish were barely attended to and there wasn't a single water change. I bought a new filter pump and cleaned it when I passed through on a quick visit but had no way of taking the 4ft large tank. So as of December 2021 I managed to aquire my own tank, 3ft but taller and set it up days before the fish rescue mission. We manged to put the fish into a bucket with lid and brought them to their new home with me. I took the stones, ornaments, air pump and filter as I only had a glass tank.
Made a big mistake by not cleaning the stones first and the tank was dirty for days before it settled. Also struggled with the PH as the water they were transported in from the old tank was above PH10. Its amazing any of them survived. A lot did not and were left to disintegrate. Trying to get the conditions right I cleaned the tank by 50% water change weekly at first to try and rid as much waste as possible and freshen the water to correct my error. Trying to get the pH down has proven difficult but we're in the low 8s now. I've added a few friends to the existing fish and plant life too. Just hoping to keep mums fish alive doing research as much as possible. Fish Inventory from mums tank: a huge plec over 15yrs old (don't know actual age), 2 upside down cat fish, 1 whiptail, 3 remaining assassin snails, 1 rainbow shark, 1 platy fry (was 2 but one died & no idea where the parents are) and 2 neon tetras. Recently bought 4 zebra danio (1 died), 4 plattys (1 died), 5 cherry barbs, and 2 tiger barbs. Added plant life, doing research and just love to watch the fish and their personalities

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_205225.jpg
    IMG_20220307_205225.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 34
Nice tank, and how fortunate that some of your mom's fish made it. Good luck, that big pleco looks awesome!

Well, hi & welcome to TFF. I'm so sorry about your mom... 🙏
Your tank looks really great.

Welcome to TFF! Your tank looks awesome!!

Most reactions

Back