Hi all have major problem with my community tropical aquarium

Yes, the solution is suitable tank mates. Barbs, loaches, other gourami are suitable but do not replace the small tetra.
The shrimps will scavenge any dead fish but will not be the cause of the deaths.

I just bought 6 Panda Barbs & 2 Kribensis yesterday to replace lost fish. All are quite small so hopefully the don't end up the same way.

Wood shrimp are filter feeders and completely non-predatory. You do have a very interesting assortment of fish! The Sahyadria denisonii (I call them Denison barbs, but they have at least a half dozen common names) like a bit more space than that, as they like being in big schools. How do your dwarf gouramis get along? They can be real jerks, but not always.

I bought them as Torpedoes when they were half that size. I bought 3 but 1 developed large white patches all over & I removed it a few months ago.

All other Guaramis are very peaceful & every1 gets along great except the large yellow 1.

All other Guaramis are very peaceful & every1 gets along great except the large yellow 1.
Well, that's good to hear. The whole anabantid family seems to have highly variable personalities. Sounds like you got a group and mostly plays nicely. Any chance of finding a home for Big Yellow?

The three gold gourami are indeed the species Trichopodus trichopterus, and it is the most aggressive gourami of the small and medium sized species. A female has been know to kill every fish in the tank (another member reported this a year or so back), and I have observed two of these gourami easily catch and eat neon ttras in a store tank. I would remove the three gold gourami or you will likely be sorry...running out of small fish, they will turn their attention to any others.

I bought them as Torpedoes when they were half that size. I bought 3 but 1 developed large white patches all over & I removed it a few months ago.

This species, Sahyadria denisonii, requires a larger group:
Compatibility/Temperament: Generally peaceful, but should not be kept with smaller fish that will likely be seen as food. It's water flow and cooler temperatures limit suitable tankmates to medium-sized barbs and danios, loaches, Garra and Devario species. Must be kept in a group, minimum 8; reports of aggressive behaviour are probably due to the fish not being maintained in a sizeable group.​
This fish is benthopelagic, meaning it swims very close to the substrate where it feeds on benthos (organisms living in, on or close to the substrate) and zooplankton. It requires a good water flow, so the aquarium should be long (5-6 feet but no less than 4 feet) with the filter arranged to create a good current from end to end, replicating a flowing stream. A substrate of gravel and small rocks with thick plants around the perimeter would simulate this fish's habitat. Hiding spots formed of wood or rock are beneficial; aquarists have observed this species playing "hide and seek." The aquarium must be kept cooler rather than warmer, with a temperature not exceeding 25C/77F. Warmer temperatures will make it less easy for this fish to assimilate oxygen.​

They might work together :) he might stress these to death and the shrimps clear of the evidence.
I owned different gurami in the past and their behaviour differ. I had an aggressive gurami chasing smaller fish and even eating neon, currently I have a very frightened dwarf gurami that is even chased away by small platies.
Never owned wood shrimps so I don't know much about these. If these are like smaller usual ones then they can dissappear dead fish quite quickly.

I would be adding a whole lot more plant. Up to 50% of the volume of this tank needs to be in plant, that should help to take some of the tension away.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back