Hey everyone, I am a newbie!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The daily 75% water change for a week is one of those last resorts or in an emergency-fish are really sick , Another thing to try is adding Tetra SafeStart Plus if your cycling needs a restart. That is why I ask about medication it can sometimes kill the good bacteria restarting the cycle. I like R O water, the water softener adds to much sodium to the water for aquariums in my opinion. I would stop using ammo lock, do a 75% water change and then monitor your water.
10gallon perfect 37 hanging on @1.0ppm ammonia

Sorry, we have to ask these question, we try and eliminate things that may cause a spike in ammonia . Have you used medication in your tank? How often do you have these spikes. One suggest would be to add live plants that absorb ammonia. Plants like water sprite, anacharis, hornwort and moneywort are fast growing plants that you can plant or allow to float. They are easy to care for because they absorb what they need from the water (ammonia)
Been having a little trouble finding the water sprite and the anacharis, what is your take on the amazon sword?

You may have to use Ebay or Amazon. My LFS stocks them but Petco and Pet Smart do not at least not around here. Amazon swords are nice but not a fast growing plant so it will not absorb as much ammonia.

You may have to use Ebay or Amazon. My LFS stocks them but Petco and Pet Smart do not at least not around here. Amazon swords are nice but not a fast growing plant so it will not absorb as much ammonia.
I placed an order with aquatic arts so I'm trying to add the money and hornwort to my order before they ship they are out of the other two you recommend, and my LFS as well they only have moneywort, how any do you recommend for my 37 and my 10g? I have Three of the 2 bunch packs of the moneywort and the hornwort so 6 bunches of each never ordered plants before so I'm not sure if that's enough or too much based on how much comes in a bunch

I orders moss balls from aquatic arts and was very happy with them. The ones I bought from my LFS, (which could be more or less than what aquatic gives) I used two bunches of hornwort in my 55 gallon and added another 2 later for my fry. I have 3 moneywort bunches in my 30 gallon, Most of what I have are narrow and broad leaf anachanis which are in both tanks. There is several in each tank, I like its look. These plants will grow fast compared to rooted plants.

No it's ok, all I have used since I started was prime,ammo lock, beneficial bacteria, water conditioner, but I am definitely going to look at getting some plants, and also I have a eater softener system that runs through my house so my water is super soft and reads perfectly, and I also have an RO system, I'm kind of nervous to put that in my tank but also the RO water ph is about 6.0
Theres the problem. Ammo lock!!!Ammo lock will kill beneficial bacteria in your tank by essentially starving it by converting the ammonia into a less dangerous form that the beneficial bacteria cant feed on. When beneficial bacteria is in short supply one will get ammonia spikes. Stop using the ammo lock. If you added it when you did your last water change do another water change and add more benefcial enzymes and throw the ammo lock in the trash!

Last edited:
Well I ran out so that solves that problem, I did an 80% yesterday and a 50% this morning, I will check my water when I get home and give the up dates. And I'm glad I didnt do the RO water
RO water is fine, it doesnt have anything in it. Zero GH 7.0 PH which is nuetral no salts no nothing. If one uses a water softener than yeah it can cause problem because the salts used to soften the water are harmful for fish.

I orders moss balls from aquatic arts and was very happy with them. The ones I bought from my LFS, (which could be more or less than what aquatic gives) I used two bunches of hornwort in my 55 gallon and added another 2 later for my fry. I have 3 moneywort bunches in my 30 gallon, Most of what I have are narrow and broad leaf anachanis which are in both tanks. There is several in each tank, I like its look. These plants will grow fast compared to rooted plants.
Cool beans, I will distribute them evenly, I did another 75% change this morning on the 37 I will see what we are looking at on ammonia when I get home later..

RO water is fine, it doesnt have anything in it. Zero GH 7.0 PH which is nuetral no salts no nothing. If one uses a water softener than yeah it can cause problem because the salts used to soften the water are harmful for fish.
Ok cool, my water is really soft, we just loaded up the tank with about 6 40lb bags of salt.

My RO has a switch by the sink that I can switch on and off as I choose
Thats cool. You dont want to use water softened with salt but RO water shouldnt have any salt/sodium in it. If your current tank hasnt used RO water then add the RO water like a gallon or two a day because it will lower PH and GH and KH and drastic PH GH swings can kill fish quick. Also no reason to use a dechlorinator with RO water because it shouldnt have any chlorine or chloramines in it.

I totaly agree with @utahfish use the RO water, no soduim and is so much better but make sure you do like he said a little increase at a time until it is all RO water. I wish I had RO in the house I have to buy it to adjust my tanks.

Thats cool. You dont want to use water softened with salt but RO water shouldnt have any salt/sodium in it. If your current tank hasnt used RO water then add the RO water like a gallon or two a day because it will lower PH and GH and KH and drastic PH GH swings can kill fish quick. Also no reason to use a dechlorinator with RO water because it shouldnt have any chlorine or chloramines in it.
Neither of the water has any chlorine or chloramine in it but the ph is super lower. My next 10% I do it will be with RO water

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back