Heuy Hung Filters

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Has anybody used the Huey Hung filter range (100 litre+). If so are they reliable/durable, is it easy to buy replacement sponge, if not how long do the sponges last?
 
Im using one with my discus now its a 250 litre one and its very good indeed you can see the crap getting sucked into it
 
Im using one with my discus now its a 250 litre one and its very good indeed you can see the crap getting sucked into it

how long do the sponges last? is it easy to get replacement sponges?
 
because of the beneficial bacteria, of coarse i could run two side by side to establish a new one but it would be easier and cheaper to replace the sponge when needed. It looks like a good recommendation though. You run a 250 litre, does it actually suffice for a 250 litre tank? Also what is the current like? have you ever had any discus fry get sucked up?
 
No they dont suck fry into them thats what they are designed for. I have a powerful air pump to myn so has a fair bit of airation going on and surface movement bubbles come out of it so its not a flow as such just like a air stone really.

And the beneficial bacteria would be stored in the sponge so either way replacing the whole unit or replaceing the sponge would be the same thing. Simple way to transfer bacteria is to squeeze the old sponge into the new one transferring bacteria, ive done this twice this week and all tanks seem to be going well.

Its also recommended that you get double the capacity for your tank so if you have a 100 litre tank get a 200 litre filter, im running a 250 in a 125 litre tank and its very efficient.
 
The Huey Hungs over that side of the pond seem almost identical to the Hydro line here; http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydrosponge1.html

I run the Hydos if I get them cheap at an auction or swap, I generally make my own, which ends up cheaper. Three of the Hydro IV's provide bio filtration for a 150 gallon tub, one is fine for anything 40 gallons or less.

The PW filters look to be a glorified box filter, I run these as well with larger fry on up to adults; http://www.jehmco.com/html/box_filters.html

I run the LJRBF's, one per sponge filter on larger tanks or tubs. I have found that fry can sneak into the box filters when they are small, and will get hung in the floss, I run sponges only until the fry are large enough to be unable to squeeze through the slots in the top of the box filters.

Sponge filters in a fry tank are more for bio filtration than mechanical filtration. You can get quite a bit of mechanical filtration from a sponge filter, this calls for increased water flow, which increases turbulence, young fry generally do not do well with turbulence.

I've had the Hydros running for years, with no need at all to change the sponge. They are run as low flow bio filtration, I crank the floss filled box filters a little more for mechanical filtration, and replace the floss as needed, this depends mainly on the stocking. Bulk floss is dirt cheap, it is nothing more than poly fill used for pillows & such.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top