Heres One For Ya, Human Blood!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

riffraff

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so....
got the radio going, steve wright in the afternoon, factoids, and they say...

most tropical fish could live in a tank of just human blood :huh: :unsure: :unsure: :blink: :blink: :sick: :| :nod: :shout: ....
what the blood y hell i thought, can someone here, fishkeeper or vampire type please explain how???

thanks in advance

riffraff

oh and if anyone has actually done this, what fish did you keep?
1.candiru
2.piranha
3.???????

it will be something to do with the fact that blood has the ability to hold oxygen and that fish don't actually need water to breathe/swim in, just an oxygen rich liquid.....or something like that.

(awaits anyone with any actual science to prove this)

it's a theory.....I doubt anyone has actually tried to test it.

Well when i kept my fish in tanks of human blood......

kidding...that is nasty. Why would someone WANT to do that?

it will be something to do with the fact that blood has the ability to hold oxygen and that fish don't actually need water to breathe/swim in, just an oxygen rich liquid.....or something like that.

(awaits anyone with any actual science to prove this)

it's a theory.....I doubt anyone has actually tried to test it.

+1

The fish probably wouldn't be able to swim and their respiratory rate very low (would be like trying to breathe custard for them I imagine :S) so expending energy wouldn't be an option. Provided it's kept at the right temperature, the fish could possibly use their gills to metabolise the oxygen in the blood?

Can't see it working.

1, blood clots, try swimming in that.

2, blood is not all that oxygen rich as a solution, it's the haemoglobin that is, and it doesn't like giving away it's oxygen to just anything.

Osmotically, it's basically a 0.9% saline solution.

Vampire fish ...

COOL :lol:

...and no, they won't 'sparkle' cos I won't let them lol :lol:

I don't think it would work all that well. With so many new variables that the fish would have to adapt to, who knows what could go wrong. Fish are designed to a delicate balance for living in water. We all know if you skew even a few of those parameters too far fish start to die off at alarming rates. Water is devoid of many compounds that are found in blood. Hmm...

I wonder if fluorocarbons could be used for fish... If it can be used by humans for liquid breathing, would it work with fish?

Can't see it working.

1, blood clots, try swimming in that.

2, blood is not all that oxygen rich as a solution, it's the haemoglobin that is, and it doesn't like giving away it's oxygen to just anything.

Osmotically, it's basically a 0.9% saline solution.

I agree with you on this one. Blood in a tank would clot if an anticoagulant weren't used. And to treat that much blood to avoid clots, a lot of EDTA, or Lithium Heparin, or Sodium Citrate would have to be used, and that alone could potentially be deadly to the fish. As far as oxygen rich? Well it would be if the blood was obtained through an arterial draw.

Next to that, blood decays --> i.e. massive buildup of waste.
Where they expecting to put a dialysis machine on it?

pH wise there's no problem, but it's regulated by CO2 levels mainly so how is that going to work :/
Also, blood is meant to function at 37 degrees celcius, not the ~25 celcius most tropical fish like.

The storage of blood is tightly regulated with additives to keep it in the best condition possible, without proper handling it's useless...

only parasites that actually live in blood could survive.

I think it's meant as a theoretical possibility, not a suggestion. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back