Here We Go Again....

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
I have a 30 gal. with 8 Danios and 3 Corys. I was looking for some mid dwellers and found some cute little Phantom Tetras. I purchased 5. They are apparantly afraid of the Danios as they they stay at the bottom of the tank behind an ornament. They will not come out to eat, much less swim around. We are on day 4....is there still a chance they may get more comfortable with their surroundings ? Anything I should do ? :unsure:
 
Hi
Yeh, 4 days isn't long really. It could take them a few more days to settle in properly. One of my female bettas is taking an eternity to settle.
trouble is, no one knows exactly what journeys and how many tanks the fish have been in before we get them, but i'm sure they will settle.

Cheers

P.S. Try leaving the light off longer than you would normally
 
Thank you !

I just fed the fish and seen a few of them take a bite. Good sign.

Do you think it would help to rescape the tank a bit and/or add a few more Tetras ?

If I add more Tetras....Do they need to be the same kind or can I add similar ones and they still shoal together ?

**by rescape I mean adding more plants, hiding places**
 
I would not introduce anymore until the ones you have feel comfortable. Then maybe you can add some more. Also it will let your filter's bacteria colony increase from the extra fishload they need to cope with at the moment.

As for plants/decorations, these are always helpful as it can break the line of vision between fish and also give them the security of somewhere to hide.

The Danios shouldn't really scare the tetras because they are top dwellers from my experience whereas Tetras tend to like the bottom half of the tank.

Andy
 
I reckon more plants and less light. You dont wanna fill up you tank with phantoms. Maybe they dont feel secure cos youve only got a few fish in the tank. Ill bet theyll settle as your tank fills up in the future so put plants in to fill it up. You could always thin them out in the future.
 
My Danios tend to swim around all levels of the tank. They have been in there quite a while all alone. My one Zebra did harrass them a bit the first day but now seems to be okay. The Danios occasionally swim through their area and make them scatter. I do not see any nipping though. I think planting the tank more will help. Thank you
 
How much planting does the tank have? If its too bare, particularly if it doesn't have any planting, then this can make the fish feel insecure and stressed.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top