Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hemianthus Micranthemoides

Discussion in 'Plants Index' started by mlawson, Apr 5, 2007.

1. mlawson

mlawson Excessum ut clementia

Scientific name: Hemianthus micranthemoides

Common terms: None, It used to be called Micranthemum micranthemoides and sometimes still is, so if you see a plant labelled as this it will actually be Hemianthus micranthemoides.

Geographic origin: Distibuted over parts of central America.

Type (stem, bulb, rhizome, floating etc.): Stem

Max. size (height, width): Height - 3 to 15cm, Width - up to 10cm, can be grown as a carpeting plant.

Lighting required: Medium - Very bright

Temperature: 22 - 28 degrees C

Water chemistry requirements (pH, hardness): Quite adaptable, I keep mine in hard water with a pH of 7.5, soft water is prefered, but a pH of 5-8 and very soft - hard water should be fine.

Growth rates: Reasonably fast in good conditions.

Demands: Relatively hard, a nutrient rich substrate and CO2 should be considered necesary. Mine seems to thrive with 2WPG and with lots of fertilisers and CO2.

Additional info: Hemianthus micranthemoides is a very popular plant due to its small size and minute leaves. Once established it forms a dense cushion of fine, light green leaves. In my case it is used as a background plant in a nano tank, in larger setups it could be used as a foreground plant aslong as it is pruned regulary. In my experience it propagets via side shoots and acts like a carpet, even when let to grow vertically. It is probably one of the best fine-leafed stem plants available.

A small compact bush of Hemianthus micranthemoides.
    [​IMG]