HELP!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

freshy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I know, I know. The thing is my niece just called saying she had a surprise for me (knowing I was setting up my first fishtank and all), well the surprise is a fish, but I'm fraking oput a little here because my cycle is not fully done.
My ammo is 0ppm, and nitrites are still coming back to 0ppm after its spike (right now it's at 0.3 ppm). Nitrites are still very high (over 160 ppm).

Heeelp!! :crazy: What should I do?? Wolud a large water change help?? The poor fishy is still at my niece's place living in a plastic bag.

P.S. I have no idea what type of fish it is

Can you give us info on it? Speed, size, appearance?

I'm not sure what the tolerable nitrate levels are, but most people have 60 or less...

I would suggest a water change, though, especially since it's a small tank.

I don't know how long it can live in a plastic bag. I'd do a 50% water change and check the water specs. nitrates should be below 60ppm. I've heard when people are moving long distances they put the fish in a bucket with an air stone and that could work for 5(?) hours or so.
good luck

Hi, thanks for the fast replies. I just talked to my niece and she's put the fish in some sort of a bowl for the night as I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. She is keeping it in the same water from the bag, which I can only assume is the same from its tank at the lfs.
I'll do the water change and keep mt fingers crossed!

Any extra advice or contribution will be well received! Thank you

I'm guessing that she has no aeration for that bowl... so let's hope it does ok.

Since you have no fish in the tank, a huge water change won't do much damage.

I think it's possible that since the cycle is near its end there would be sufficient bacteria to support one fish if you stop adding additional ammonia (duh...;) ), you just need a nice big water change to sort your nitrAtes. :)

I'm waiting to see what kind of fish it is....

One fishy should be okay in there.

Hi everyone!
Well, it turned out is not just one but TWO fishies. One's a baby guppy (which was very hungry, the poor thing!) and the other looks like a tetra of some kind, it's silver colored and has lilac tones on its back. I'll try to post a picture. I did a large water change (60% approx) and added water form the tank to the bowl they were both in :*) every 5 mins for an hour or so and I finally put them in the tank. They look really cute! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though!

Oh, and I have a couple more questions: do you think I should make another water change soon, or would it be stressful for the fish? And, how often do you guys test your water to keep everything in control?

You've been great help! Thanks a bunch! :D

Heya :) How're they doing?

When my tank is "stable" is never test for ammonia and nitrite, but test nitrAte once a week.

If the tank is cycling or I've just added new fish, I check twice a day, morning and night. Call me paranoid if you want but I like to know exactly what's going on so I can remedy high levels before they become a problem. :)

Did you have any specific stocking plans for this tnak? Cos i think if you've got a tetra you'll need to get a few more to keep it happy...:X

Well, I had thought of zebra danios, mollies and platties, nice colored beginners fish you know! I'll try to get more tetras to keep this one company on Saturday.

Now, I've been watching these two fellas and seem very active, still getting to know their surroundings, but I've noticed the tetra doesn't eat while the guppy does. Should I get worried? :blink: or maybe he's just shy?

he doesn't eat at all? does he show any interest in the food?

mayeb he's just settlign in/lonely. i used to have two tetras who were very shy and would never come to the surface for food, now i have a group of them they will all come up and beg. :)

Hi,
Well, he has show some interest but only in the food that goes to the bottom, which is not much. He doesn't come to the surface to pick it like the guppy does. I'm feeding them flakes. And he swims quite fast.

I've checked ammonia and nitrites and I'm happy to report thay're both at 0 ppm. The nitrates were still a little high, (over 160ppm) so I did a moderate water change (20%)

P.S. I just confirmed it is a diamond tetra

Tetras tend to be scared and stressed out when not kept in a shoal. It would be prudent to add a few more fish to make the first feel more comfortable.

Are the flakes that you're feeding the tetra small enough to fit in it's mouth? If not, then make them smaller. He might not come to the surface for food for some time, but don't worry, it happens to fish when they are confined to small containers for periods of time.

All right! No need to worry then.

I'd like to add more fish to keep him (or her?) company, but my tank is not so large (10 gall - 40 litres) so I can't imagine having 6 of these guys in it. How many more would you guys recomend? Would you suggest more guppies too? I really would like to have a variety of fish. What other species can I keep in this tank? without overstocking of course! I'd like zebra danios, mollies and/or platties :D

6 would be ideal :/ but i guess 3-4 would do.

i wouldn't recommend danios as they need shoals of 5-6 and also they are very fast, strong swimmers so a ten isn't really enough for them. you coudl try platies and/or more guppies...I reckon mollies might get too big, but i'm not sure, because I can never find reliable info on how big they are. :unsure:

Most reactions

Back