HELP

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

suspectdebbie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Another fishless cycling question. MRshouty and I have been fishless cyling since sunday. We haven't gotten a nitrite spike (it's up but only a little bit) but our alkaline is way up?? Is this normal?? Did we screw something up?? Do we need to start over?? I really hope not. We want fishies... soon(ish). Somebody help me!! :blink:

The time it takes to get a nitrite spike when you are fishless cycling is different for every tank. If you are getting some nitrite reading then your bacteria colony is growing. Do you have any nitrates?

As far as the alkalinity, I really can not speak to that as I did not test for that while I was fishless cycling. What was the alkalinity before you started and what is the alkalinity of your tap water? Someone else may know if the amonia would cause it to rise though I would think amonia would add to the acidity and lower alkalinity, but that is just a thought and a thought at 1:30am is not always an intelligent one! :p

I certainly would not start over as water changes will bring down your alkalinity as there are no fish to hurt. But don't do any water changes yet, let the bacteria build. Just keep adding your amonia and be patient, the tank will cycle.

HTH a bit!

Most reactions

Back