Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ThisChick42

Reaction score
I was wondering how many male to female ratio would be best in an African cichlid tank? My tank is still growing so they are not full size yet. For a while only the largest male peacock and female red zebra were breeding but now the female electric yellow cichlid started with the male electric yellow. Things were peaceful before this. Since then the yellow female has lost a batch of babies she was holding and the majority of fish chase, bully and stress her out now. She stays near the top of the tank now with her fins being nipped a little. She is still eating and occasionally swimming around. Suggestions? Please and thank you
Fish in the tank:
1x M yellowtail acei
2x F red zebra
1x M peacock (largest in tank currently and boss)
1x F black cichlid
1x Nimbochromis venustus/giraffe hap
1x M electric yellow
1x F electric yellow
1x F Kennyi
A whole bunch of hiding babies from one of the female red zebra cichlids we call Fleck

If you are keeping African Rift Lake cichlids, either keep pairs or groups of 1 male and a few females in their own tanks. Or if you want a community tank, try to go for all males so they don't breed. If you have males and females in a community tank, the males will be more aggressive because they will be setting up territories so they can breed.

A lot of cichlids will hybridise so having single sex community tanks will prevent this.

Years ago I was given 8 African Cichlids in one year I had to remove all the other fish in my 55 gallon tank except a pleco and they had 50 or so young that made it to adulthood. I made the mistake of putting fry grass in the tank too. It was fun at first watching them take care of their fry but it got out of hand, Hope you have better luck.

Most reactions

Back