Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

glasgowgirl_786

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I really need some advice/suggestions as to what's going on in my tank please!

It all started when I purchased black Venezuelan cories - they caught fin rot and although I treated them they all eventually died and then my bronze cories became ill. Luckily I haven't lost any of them but they aren't the usual active fellas they normally are. Now nearly all my other fish (except the labryinth ones such as my gouramis & female betta) are staying at the top as if they are gasping for air - they have rapid gill movement. I put on my Venturi kit to add more oxygen in my juwel tank but it hasn't helped. My X-ray tetras, blue electric ram, platies & my angelfish are all effected.

I've treated for internal bacterial infection & for used a fungus & fin rot medicine. (Not at the same time) none of which have helped & I fear I'm gona loads nearly my whole tank soon !!! I consider my fish as my babies & do my best to take good care of them so it's quite upsetting seeing them like this. I am glad my gouramis seem unaffected as they are my favourites.

Any suggestions as to what's going on and what I could do to treat and save everyone?!

Also I'm sure I've spotted a dead fish down where I can't get to it in between the glass & internal filter and cannot do DIY at all and refuse to take out the whole internal filter (as I'm a single mum & that's the last thing I'm wanting to do) so any suggestions as to what I can do with that aswell?
Thanks in advance :)

What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? How long has that dead fish been there?
confused.gif

Water parameters seemed ok, not sure about the fish only noticed it today - pretty sure I seen an eye as I thought it was just some mushed sinking pellets at first. Could that be the reason? :s

What are the exact water parameters? Elevated nitrite levels could be causing your fish to gasp at the surface.

I'd be getting the dead body out ASAP and doing a big water change.

Ah sorry it wasn't a dead fish after all as I've counted 8 X-ray tetras so I must have miscounted as I used to have 9 but lost one a while ago. Done a water change yesterday and no change in the fish :(

Oh dear, sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble.

Difficult to know whats going on exactly in your tank, will need more information really.

First, can you answer Ninjouzata's query about water parameters, specific readings would help greatly as this is the first place we look to for any clues to whats going on in your water.

Fish gasping at surface usually points to nitrite or nitrate poisoning as they're both effectively have the same symptoms.

Tank size?

Can you also provide your usual water change routine, percentage of water changes and how often, gravel vac? also do you add dechlorinator?

Have you cleaned your filter as well? if so, how did you do this?

Have you recently added anything new to the tank? plants, substrate, decor etc

What are the meds exactly did you use for the treatments?

And lastly, is your tank cycled?

Sorry if these are silly questions for you but providing answers to all the above will help us to be able to give suitable advice for you and may help find out exactly whats going on.

It's a 180 litre tank and I normally do about a 25% water change adding de chlorinator & using my gravel vac etc Yes I clean my filter well I change pads regularly (it's a juwel tank) and I have took apart my power head a few times & cleaned it. Nothing new added and my tank has been running for months. I am a fairly experienced fish keeper so I do know about all this. But what is now causing this is just baffling me. I've been to my LFS and have been told to take some water in to get it tested and take in one of the fishes so they are able to see what's going on. Really hope something fixes this as it's really annoying me :(

Am sure it is frustrating for you, hopefully we can help you.

Just one or two more things.

When you say you change filter pads, what exactly are you changing?
Filter floss or sponge media?

Normally we don't change sponge media in our filters, usually just a clean of sponge media in old tank water.
This sponge media us where a lot of your good bacteria lives in, the bacteria needed is for processing your ammonia and nitrites which generally comes from your fish / stocking and their waste.
However, filter floss can be changed regularly, this is usually for cleaning or taking out fine particles from water to keep tank water clear.

Second, do you have live plants in your tank and do you deep clean your substrate/gravel?

I ask these because changing sponge media and/or deep gravel cleans can result in a mini cycle or spikes in ammonia which could be what's happening.

But without exact water parameters, it's kind of difficult to see what's happening.
Would really like to see readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, also pH if you can. I'd actually recommend you get a testing kit, preferably a liquid based test kit, for example API FW Master Test Kit is of decent enough value and quality.
Do not suggest you get paper strip dip kits, these can be very inaccurate.

If you cannot get a test kit, your LFS, as you already mentioned, can do these test for you and be sure to note the exact readings, do not just accept 'it's fine!' kind of response please.

Also, you do not mention how you cycled your tank. Might be useful to know this.

Sorry if seem a little negative and assure you these questions can be relevant and may point out what's happening.

We'll get there :)

Not at all thanks for your help! I change the white pads weekly at the top of the filter as instructed by juwel. And I don't deep clean my sand just hover the gravel vac over it to suck up debris as the white pads collect most dirt in the tank. I have the strip tests so will just be binning them if there no good!! Strange thing is all fish seem to be fine today. Woke up back to a normal tank :/ everyone's swimming around and eating etc - think ill still take water into fish shop to test on Monday to hopefully get to the cause of it! Thank you so much for you help by the way, it's much appreciated!

Thats sounds better.

White pads sound like filter floss which is basically a floss just to catch particles in water to keep tank water clear.

Yeah, Test Strip Kits are certainly not to be relied upon, a liquid based test kit is far better value for money and more accurate with water testing.

Sounds like you went through a mini cycle or a spike and tank/filter i snow recovering from that.

But do keep an eye on water parameters and keep taking tank water samples to LFS and do ask for specific readings.

Lets keep fingers crossed the worst of it is over.

If you can, get yourself an extra tank that you can set up as a quarantine or hospital tank when you need it. Any new fish can be observed for illnesses for about 6 weeks inside a quarantine tank. If they show signs of illness it will be a lot cheaper to treat them there, than in your main tank, and the fish in your main tank will not be at risk! It is best to use separate supplies for each tank to prevent cross contamination! You can run an extra filter on your main tank that you only have to transfer over to the quarantine tank to have an instantly cycled tank! :)

What you're describing (the fish gasping for air) sounds like gill flukes. Hygiene is very important; I would advise regular water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back