Help!

justjon

Fishaholic
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
666
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Heh, sorry for the striking topic.

I am off to LFS in 10 minutes, I was going to get Almano shrimps, however all they have is Yamatoe shrimps, they look the same and ive been told they will feed on algae and leftovers, is this true and is it ok to get 4 of them instead of Almanos?
 
Yamato shrimp grow to a maximum adult size of 2" head to tail (approximately 5cm). Although very tolerant of salinity and pH ranges (down to 6.0), they are very sensitive to ammonia/ammonium and heavy metal concentrations, as are most freshwater shrimp. Temperature, likewise has to be kept below 30C because they are not a tropical species.

The Amano Shrimp prefers planted aquariums. Slightly soft (GH 6-10dh) water is preferred (if the GH is too low they can't make their carapace). They are extremely sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and an excess of nitrate, and as such should only be added to a cycled tank. A small level of Iodine in the water is probably recommend to help them molt. This can be supplied via normal fish food or via typical health food shop Kelp tablets.
 
thanks for the help!

I'll be getting two real plants whilst down there too, along with 4 of these shrimps! :D
 
Thank's for the help guys/girls - i've got them, and they seem to be settling right in, I notice they are already tackling little bits of algae/dirt in the tank.. seem to love being on the pirate ship and tunnel in the tank.

I also got two plants, so hopefully that'll give them some algae to clean/eat!

Oh, also.. what are platties like?

They had some amazing coloured ones and i was thinking about grabbing two of them rather than two gourami's in a few weeks, would they attack mollies/shrimp ?
 
platies breed like crazy they should be fine will mollies, mollies are bigger then platties and may harrass them a bit. Not sure but I think they would be fine with the shrimps as well.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top