Help! Yoyo Loach Dying!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Weiro792

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I woke up this morning to see one of my yoyo loaches laying in my water sprite looking like this. It looks like some kind of fungal disease. Any help would be great! I got him about 2 weeks ago and hadn't seen him in about a week. But it never really bothers me as I have a heavily planted tank so I have quite a few fish that I don't see and not to mention I have a couple other yoyo's his size. 

Any ideas what it could be and/or how to fix him up? Thanks!

Weiro 20140130_090238.jpg

Oh also, checked my stats, everything is normal and I do regular water changes about once a week. My other yoyo's are perfectly fine. So it doesn't seem to be transferable. We'll see though

So I set up a  quarantine  tank and put some anti-bacterial meds in it. It was the only one that listed open wounds as one of the things that it treats. So I'm going to do daily water changes and med doses. We'll see what happens.

Sorry you haven't had a reply yet.

I could only recommend what you've already done (quarantine and an anti bacterial med). 

What fish do you have in the tank with the yoyos? It looks almost like it's been 'sucked'; you don't have a Chinese algae eater, by any chance?

Nope I don't have any of those, too aggressive and too big.  There are 2 other Yoyo's, Cory Cats, neon tetras, a bristle nose pleco, and 2 peacock gudgeons.

I really don't think any of them could have done that, the only ones that might would be the pleco or the gudgeons. but the pleco is too big to make small sores like these, and the gudgeons are really passive.

It almost looks like fin rot. Almost. 

The sores seem to be centered around his dorsal fin. But the tail fin has a piece in the middle missing.

It is probably just a really bad bacterial infection then. Hope it pulls through.

I hope so too! I'll update when I know.
Also, what would be a good schedule for doing water changes? I was planning on taking water directly out of my 55 gallon and doing 50% water change in my hospital tank which is a 5.5 gallon. He is a small Yoyo and not eating so I would think that would be sufficient.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a cycled filter in the quarantine tank? If you don't, you'll need to be doing water changes of at least 50% a day, but as many as you can manage really.

I don't think it matters whether you use tank or tap water (unless you think your tank water might be very different from the tap water, of course), as long as it's temperature matched and dechlorinated.

Thats why I was planning on doing the water changes every day. I was considering taking some of the filter media out of one of the filters on my 55. But figured it would be better to do the daily water change anyways. So it should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back