Help With Tear Down And Re-setup, Algae Etc.

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
I've decided to put an end to my nightmares on my 29 gal. tank. Tomorrow I am transferring the fish to my 10 gallon while I tear it down and set it back up. I originally started with sand and live planted it which didn't go well. There is now green goo all underneath and on the sides. I am on my 4th filter. The sand substrate burns them all up within a few months. I clean the impellers etc etc. They get louder and louder and sometimes burn out. I have the hated green spot algae which is nearly impossible to get off. I will be removing the sand and all of the ornaments and adding gravel and new decor.

-By doing this.....will this mean the green spot will not come back ?

-Is there anything other than the scrubby pad that will loosen the spot algae and make it easier to get off ? I have already scratched the glass a bit :(

-My fish are going to be kinda cramped. Will they be okay, for say 24 hrs. if needed in the 10 gallon ? 1 medium Angel, 3 Tetras, 7 Rasboras, 1 Ram, 4 Corys, 1 BN Plec

Anything I should be doing I'm not thinking of ? This whole thing is stressing me out. I even had it listed for sale. I love my Angel and just can't do it.
 
change to gravel by all means, but find out whats causing the algae growth, i do feel for you, but please try not to stress about it :)
use a dishwasher with scourer thats specificly designed for washing drinking glasses
they`ll be fine im sure for that time :)
 
I've decided to put an end to my nightmares on my 29 gal. tank. Tomorrow I am transferring the fish to my 10 gallon while I tear it down and set it back up. I originally started with sand and live planted it which didn't go well. There is now green goo all underneath and on the sides. I am on my 4th filter. The sand substrate burns them all up within a few months. I clean the impellers etc etc. They get louder and louder and sometimes burn out. I have the hated green spot algae which is nearly impossible to get off. I will be removing the sand and all of the ornaments and adding gravel and new decor.

-By doing this.....will this mean the green spot will not come back ?

-Is there anything other than the scrubby pad that will loosen the spot algae and make it easier to get off ? I have already scratched the glass a bit :(

-My fish are going to be kinda cramped. Will they be okay, for say 24 hrs. if needed in the 10 gallon ? 1 medium Angel, 3 Tetras, 7 Rasboras, 1 Ram, 4 Corys, 1 BN Plec

Anything I should be doing I'm not thinking of ? This whole thing is stressing me out. I even had it listed for sale. I love my Angel and just can't do it.


Sorry for all your troubles. Unfortunately there is no guarantee on the greenspot algae. Putting all the fish in the 10 gallon probably won't cut it. After a few hours your ammonia is going to spike and might kill off the rest of the stock. If there was no disease why did you tear down? Changing the substrate isn't hard. Get a regular garden hose and suck the sand outside. It works fine as I have done it before. Then simply put the tank back together with the new substrate and fill it back up. To the fish it will seem like a huge waterchange. Hope that helps!
 
I don't see how I could remove all the algae and the sand without removing all the fish first. I don't plan on taking 24 hrs. Just worst case scenario ! I have 2 filters on it now. I will move the filter to the 10 gallon while I am changing. That should help with the ammonia right ?

I do have a plastic 5 gallon tank, I just remembered, never used it. Maybe I can put some of the fish in that one too.

I thought green spot was typical of live planted tanks which is why I hoped it wouldn't come back. I've never had it in any of my other tanks.
 
I just happened to think....that algae is going to be in my filter media anyhow. I'm doomed :angry:
 
If you run the filter from the 29 in the 10 gallon, with 100% fresh water the fish will be fine for 24 hours. No worst than me putting all the fish from a heavily stocked 55 into a 20 long for half a day, breeding pairs into 5 gallon with an air stone, or triple stocking a 29 for a while. I've done this numerous times during fishroom projects, and will be doing the same in a week or so.

It helps to fast the fish for 24 hours before the move, and feed lightly for the next week. Less food makes for less waste, if there is any die back of bacteria it is not a problem.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top