Help With Setting Up A Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dave1987

Fishaholic
Reaction score
iv decided to set up a tank as i miss my last one i had it is 50 us gallons and i woud like to keep malawi cichlids as i like the colours but the only problem is i dont no anything about them names,aggression etc and was wondering if someone could make a stock list of what would be good for the tank with a plec or bottom feeders or sumat aswell so there wouldnt be to many in there thanks in advance i no im asking alot

Probably the easiest thing to do is go to your LFS, write down the names of all the fish you like. Then post on here and we'll help with stocking. :good:

Yellow Labs (labidochromis Caeruleus) are usually very common and great looking fish and are generally considered to be mild tempered. Your lfs should have them or be able to get them easily. Here's a pic:
100_2918.jpg
100_2916.jpg

These are of my actual fish when I got them about a month ago. I find them very stunning!!
As for other fish, what dthoffsett said about going to your lfs and making a list is a perfect way to start!! We can help tweak your list from what's available to you :good:

hi yes definately yellow labs i love there colouring i do hav e apictur of a tank full of fishes that i like but for some reason the option 2 put pictures on doesnt work can u help with this pls

ok heres a link to the pictyure would these fish be ok can u name them all for me nd how many would be ok in a 50 us gallon tank

wantedfish.jpg

Well the ones in the foreground with the black and orange stripes are clown loaches..

Maybe the blue and black stripped ones could be convict cichlids???? Convicts apparently will go breeding mad and you will not be able to get rid of them...

im not a cichlid person (yet) so cant help with the others.
Sorry!

nah there not convicts

excluding the 2 Labidochromis Caeruleus, they look to be mainly pseudotropheus species,
can't tell you much more than that i'm afraid,

so so far we have id 2 Labidochromis Caeruleus and 2 clown loaches thanks im after a set up with the same sort of fish does anyone have any suggestions thanks

looks liek there is a psuedotropheus acei in ther too and and metrialima (sp?) estherae.

I possibly wouldn't keep clown loaches with mbuna though, they like softer water.

To be honest, I'd highly advise not buying from a mixed cichlid tank, especially for a beginner. You often end up with hybrids, and without knowing their parentage you could end up with a pretty fish that happily kills all the others. :crazy: That said here's what I could ID.

wantedfish.jpg

1. tropheus duboisi 2 & 3. labidochromis caeruleus
4. metriaclima estherae 5. Chromobotia macracanthus (clown loach)
6. Labeotropheus fuelleborni OB 7. may be a young pseudotropheus crabro, it's a little blurry though
8. I think it's a poor quality l.caeruleus but I'm not sure.
9. I think it's a young female metriaclima lombardoi

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back