Help With Lighting?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
I am buying a 167 litre tank soon and on the website it says it has a 12watt LED lighting.
I have absolutely no idea about lighting so if you could tell me if it is low, medium or high lighting then that would be great!
With whatever it is (low/medium/high) what sort of plants would be good? I'm thinking: java fern, java moss, amazon sword and some sort of anubias (probably nana). Would they go good with this lighting?
Also if I was to get higher lighting then how many watts could I go? I haven't gotten the tank yet but I can link you to it on a website if you would like! :)
Thank you for any help provided!!!!

Here's the link to the website:
http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/blue-planet-vista-hpled/m/925/

It's under low. The wattages is too low to grow anything.

You'd be looking at buying a T5 or T8 kit.

Depends on the LEDs too. 12W LED is way more intensive lighting normally than a 12W fluorescent light. So wattage isn't the measure to decide on your lights.
At the moment on temporary basis just for a week I was stuck using around 0.3W per gallon of light only on my newly planted tank and honestly, some plants are even growing and they aren't even low light plants.
So I'd say try your current setup with the anubias, java fern and mosses. They could be just fine. These are normally very low light plants. They may not grow as fast, but they probably will grow just fine and the possibility of algae is minimal.

It doesn't say much on the website but it says it uses 1W leds. As far as I know the better ones for plant growth are 3w per bulb, and obviously the type of bulbs themselves.
But I still think it might be perfect for your plant choices as they don't like much light and leds give a more natural look to the tank too in my opinion. Why don't you ask the retailer and see what they say because the website does advertise them as "stimulate plant and coral growth"?
As for the amount of wattage, as I mentioned previously, I would not compare them to any other type of lighting because LEDs can be much more powerful in much less wattage. Wattage is irrelevant for any contemporary types of lighting regardless of that.

Shop around..I am not sure what size of tank you can fit in, but I'd advise buy the biggest and the longest tank you can afford. The lighting on the second one is standard
For what you are trying to grow, any standard lighting would do and in most cases would be even too much for a low tech setup.

They're really my only two options as I can't really go much bigger and I don't really want to go any smaller than 150Litres so yeah. Also my LFS doesn't really have a big selection (I use a different shop than the one on the website) so yeah. :/ I'm now sort of swaying towards the Aqua One now lol but I'll see! :)
Thank you for your help so far! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back