Help with lighting on planted 3gal and 5gal

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

EmmaTheCabbage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello! I have a 3gal and 5 gal both planted and in need of new lights. So far the lights they have (1.5w with 3led light, and 2.5w with 6led light). The plants are growing pretty slowly but still doing well. The plants I have in there are pretty low tech. (Although I just added a rosette sword to the 3gal but can change it to my higher light tank if need be).

I wasnā€™t quite sure what lights to get them. I wanted to get a clip on for me 3 gal and a suction one for the 5. Am so lost in it all with watts and different coloured lights then lumens but some of the lights donā€™t say lumens.
So far I think Iā€™ve found 2 possible ones.
this for the 3 gal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JW6QG2...abc_XXCAQ74N7RWGVE5KSVZ3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And this for the 5:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2XTJR...abc_92X0CVG3A7MHQMB16YF7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But not sure if these would be strong enough. Aiming to spend around 10-15$ per light so canā€™t go too crazy with price. Would these be ok? Is there anything else you would recommend?

Attachments

• F1B2F0FF-4BF5-480D-BDE7-944A02FB4BA7.jpeg
    F1B2F0FF-4BF5-480D-BDE7-944A02FB4BA7.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 8952F55A-7D09-46FA-8CF0-12ED9A5024C8.jpeg
    8952F55A-7D09-46FA-8CF0-12ED9A5024C8.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 74
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello! I have a 3gal and 5 gal both planted and in need of new lights. So far the lights they have (1.5w with 3led light, and 2.5w with 6led light). The plants are growing pretty slowly but still doing well. The plants I have in there are pretty low tech. (Although I just added a rosette sword to the 3gal but can change it to my higher light tank if need be).

I wasnā€™t quite sure what lights to get them. I wanted to get a clip on for me 3 gal and a suction one for the 5. Am so lost in it all with watts and different coloured lights then lumens but some of the lights donā€™t say lumens.
So far I think Iā€™ve found 2 possible ones.
this for the 3 gal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JW6QG2...abc_XXCAQ74N7RWGVE5KSVZ3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And this for the 5:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2XTJR...abc_92X0CVG3A7MHQMB16YF7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But not sure if these would be strong enough. Aiming to spend around 10-15$ per light so canā€™t go too crazy with price. Would these be ok? Is there anything else you would recommend?
First, isn't the one on the left a fluval 2.5 gal? Doesn't it come with its own light? Why do you need new lights though? If they're growing, then it's fine. What species and how long is your photoperiod(how long it's on for)? Also, I'm pretty sure that's a betta with guppies on the left. First off that's overstocked, and second they shouldn't be together because parameters and guppies have long tails, and will be targeted by the betta. Third, are those crystals? That's pretty cool.

The one on the right does need a new light though, so @JennySolano will be able to help you because they found some cheap amazon lights that work well.

On second thought the left one will also want a light. Maybe just get a desk lamp, that would work. You can also angle and change the distance for a desk lamp.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First, isn't the one on the left a fluval 2.5 gal? Doesn't it come with its own light? Why do you need new lights though? If they're growing, then it's fine. What species and how long is your photoperiod(how long it's on for)? Also, I'm pretty sure that's a betta with guppies on the left. First off that's overstocked, and second they shouldn't be together because parameters and guppies have long tails, and will be targeted by the betta. Third, are those crystals? That's pretty cool.

The one on the right does need a new light though, so @JennySolano will be able to help you because they found some cheap amazon lights that work well.

On second thought the left one will also want a light. Maybe just get a desk lamp, that would work. You can also angle and change the distance for a desk lamp.
The fluval 2.5 I bought second hand and it came with a crappy light which wasnā€™t the original. And on the 5gal the light in there is also starting to die (noticed a few leds arenā€™t working) so figured itā€™s about time to get new ones. Besides I think a bit extra light will help out. They are low light plants but still think just a tad extra light would be nice. Crypts, Java moss, Java fern, and some other one I donā€™t know the name of. Also threw some dwarf sag in there because I had some extra and wanted to see if it would survive in there. And got a rosette sword but now Iā€™m thinking about it I may move that to my other tank because Iā€™m not sure if I like the way it looks there.

I currently have my lights on for quite a long time 10-12 hours? Havenā€™t had any algae issuses so had no reason to have them on less.

Ye itā€™s a Betta. Heā€™s actually super duper chill. Was worried when I introduced them (both for the guppies and the betta) and kept a VERY close eye on them but they are all respecting each other and noticed no chasing or tail nipping or anything.

They wonā€™t be in there after Christmas. Itā€™s a temporary thing. They are part of a breeding project of mine but I needed somewhere to dump them till I get my other tank set up. (I found their parents in a bath tub in the woods and they are my favourite offspring).

I thought the crystals looked good in there haha. Thanks for saying they are cool.

I was thinking about maybe using a desk lamp but with the fluval itā€™s got that rectangular hole in the lid so I was wanting to find a rectangular light because Iā€™m fussy with looks xD

The fluval 2.5 I bought second hand and it came with a crappy light which wasnā€™t the original. And on the 5gal the light in there is also starting to die (noticed a few leds arenā€™t working) so figured itā€™s about time to get new ones. Besides I think a bit extra light will help out. They are low light plants but still think just a tad extra light would be nice. Crypts, Java moss, Java fern, and some other one I donā€™t know the name of. Also threw some dwarf sag in there because I had some extra and wanted to see if it would survive in there. And got a rosette sword but now Iā€™m thinking about it I may move that to my other tank because Iā€™m not sure if I like the way it looks there.

I currently have my lights on for quite a long time 10-12 hours? Havenā€™t had any algae issuses so had no reason to have them on less.

Ye itā€™s a Betta. Heā€™s actually super duper chill. Was worried when I introduced them (both for the guppies and the betta) and kept a VERY close eye on them but they are all respecting each other and noticed no chasing or tail nipping or anything.

They wonā€™t be in there after Christmas. Itā€™s a temporary thing. They are part of a breeding project of mine but I needed somewhere to dump them till I get my other tank set up. (I found their parents in a bath tub in the woods and they are my favourite offspring).

I thought the crystals looked good in there haha. Thanks for saying they are cool.

I was thinking about maybe using a desk lamp but with the fluval itā€™s got that rectangular hole in the lid so I was wanting to find a rectangular light because Iā€™m fussy with looks xD
10-12 hours is good, it mainly depends on algae. Test your pH. If it's around 7-8 then it should be fine, otherwise try to get it there. The main thing about the guppies and betta is that the tank is really, really small. You would be able to get away with just the betta, and no guppies or anything else other than maybe a snail. But since it's only till christmas, it should be fine. As for lights, the left one I'm not sure you can find a replacement light, but I haven't checked so you might. The right one just try to get one of the adjustable lengthwise ones so as to get as much light to all the plants.

10-12 hours is good, it mainly depends on algae. Test your pH. If it's around 7-8 then it should be fine, otherwise try to get it there. The main thing about the guppies and betta is that the tank is really, really small. You would be able to get away with just the betta, and no guppies or anything else other than maybe a snail. But since it's only till christmas, it should be fine. As for lights, the left one I'm not sure you can find a replacement light, but I haven't checked so you might. The right one just try to get one of the adjustable lengthwise ones so as to get as much light to all the plants.
I wanted to get a fluval replacement but they wanted 40$ for just the light! I said no obviously lol. I think I found a 7w adjustable brightness one so going to give that a go:)

I love my Nicrew lights! They are a bit above your $15 limit, but are quality lights and very reasonably priced and I would highly recommend them if you could spring for the extra $10+/-. I also have a full spectrum light by Aquaneat on my 5 gallon. I paid $12.99 for it on Amazon. It's no frills and isn't as nice as the Nicrew lights, but so far it has been a pretty decent light and my plants love it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back