Help With Frog Id Please!

jungleistmassiv

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi guys and gals

went to Porton aquatics near salisbury today, and they had 2 tanks, one labelled african dwarf frogs, and another labelled congo frogs. Are these not the same?

The ADF tank was empty, and the congo tank had quite a few in, they had webbed front feet, flat eyes and their body/back legs looked just like the ADF's (which is what i want).

The chap in the shop said they were clawed frogs and would grow quite large. But surely they are ADF's, if they are labelled as congo's and look the same as adf's??

I went to another shop and spoke to another chap, who agreed with me, that congos are adf's, and will stay small.

So who is right here? shall i go for the congo's?

thanks in advance

Rich :good:

from what google (and a few posts on here) tell me, they are the same frogs. Dwarfs have webbed front feet, thats the key thing to look out for. the shop has probably been told by a breeder they are clawed frogs, which grow quite big. It might be the breeder mucked up and sent 2 lots of dwarfs, or is a dodgey dealer and is just trying to palm 2 lots of as diffrent things.

EDIT: here you go:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=133204

post on these here parts, read the top bit, ADF's, aka Congo frogs

ok thanks for your help mate, that link you posted is what i have read before, which made me think think twice about it!!!!

I'll do a bit more reading up and hopefully go pick a few of the fellas up today :D

ADFs go by quite a few common names in the UK
I've seen congo frogs, tropical frogs, aquatic brown frogs, brown frogs
and even poop eating frogs. just gotta love LFS names :lol:

Most reactions

Back