Help whiptai is not doing good!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi my whiptail is laying upside down and breathing heavily, looks like he has difficulty, I don't know what to do, every other fish is doing good.

Attachments

• 20200902_181930.jpg
    20200902_181930.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 87
No experience with whiptails particularly, but with Farlowella...
Does this one eat processed foods or just biofilm?
Parameters? Tankmates?

No experience with whiptails particularly, but with Farlowella...
Does this one eat processed foods or just biofilm?
Parameters? Tankmates?
It doesn't seem interested in processed food at all for now, I added oak leaves and cones yesterday to add more food/biofilm. Tankmates are corydoras aeneus, pearl gourami and hengeli rasboras. Parameters are PH: 7.2, my water is soft (GH) and I don't have nitrites or ammonia.

I very much doubt he will last long, but as to why... .

Did this only occur after the leaves/cones were added? If yes, it would "suggest" something toxic in/on either objects. Keep a very close eye on the respiration of the other fish, cories especially; any increase in the speed, or any lethargy in normally active fish, or more frequent trips to the surface would possibly confirm this. I would do a massive water change if these signs are present. Did you see the whiptail grazing the leaves or cones?

I would be tempted to do a large W/C now regardless.

I very much doubt he will last long, but as to why... .

Did this only occur after the leaves/cones were added? If yes, it would "suggest" something toxic in/on either objects. Keep a very close eye on the respiration of the other fish, cories especially; any increase in the speed, or any lethargy in normally active fish, or more frequent trips to the surface would possibly confirm this. I would do a massive water change if these signs are present. Did you see the whiptail grazing the leaves or cones?

I would be tempted to do a large W/C now regardless.
It happened before I put the leaves and cones, I stopped my filter to feed the pearl gourami and when I turned the filter back on the whiptail was on the front glass where the filter outflow is, then the whiptail kind of jumped from surprise, maybe hit himself or something and then he let himself fall down to the bottom on the rock like the picture. After that happened, maybe 10 minutes later he was acting normal but I didn't see him today so I will update on the situation when I see him. Thanks Byron

I'm sorry to hear. I honestly do no know what it could have been

Thanks guys, I really liked that fish I even planned to get 1 more... I will try to get another one later this year probably

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back