Help! Want To Set Up A Fluval Osaka As Marine And I'm A Comple

2010emma

Reaction score
As I said in the 'topic', I've just taken delivery of a Fluval Osaka 155 and, after much tooing and frowing, I've decided that I would like to set it up as a marine tank.

I have always kept tropical fish but am a complete novice when it come to a reef setup!

I am hoping someone could give me a list of everything I need to buy to set me up and any words of advice will be gratefully received.

I will be wanting to keep coral as well but I don't really want a huge skimmer stuck to the top of the tank so can you get them to fit underneath?

Thank you in advance
:)

:hi: Emma to TFF and the salty side.

The osaka is a lovely tank and you will enjoyresearching and asking questions for your change :good:

I would suggest you put aside some time to read the pinned threads and start reading some of the journels of tanks which are your size. Many people on here have only just started marine keeping so there are a good few journels to read :fun: Get yourself a pen and notepad, note anything useful or any questions you want to ask and then pop back and ask us, remember the only stupid question is the one not asked :good:

Can you let us know how much water your tank holds, what the lighting is and what thoughts you have had on stock - we can then start helping you make a list :nod:

However in answer to your question about the skimmer - you will only be able to have it under the tank if you are going to have a sump (another tank connected to the main display tank)

I take it you are going to use live rock as your filter?

Seffie x

Hi Emma...:hi:

The tank looks beautiful but appears a bit deep (24") and I am not sure about that lighting setup being enough to carry coral. I agree that we need more specs on your lighting. If you stay with your setup, you may have to keep the corals very high up on the reef design and may have to pile the rock up high.

More info on the tank would be helpful as seffie suggested. SH

my lfs has a 260 type :good: it looks very nice. with the lighting its 2 T5s (thats what the tank comes with)but they added another 2. they have 2 blue lights and 2 white ones :good: with the skimmer they used a tmc v2 400 skimmer. i have that skimmer and i would say it ok but you have a big pump in the tank. ther rock work is high but they have loads of coral on the gravel/sand. and low down on the rock work. but the tank dosnt look very good any more after there are loads of huge aptaisa in the tank. but i have to say the huge toadstool coral looks very good it like 45cm across. i think you may need to be carefull on fish choices as it has no lid. also you will find you need to top the tank up with ro water a lot.

Most reactions

Back