Help to start - first 30L tank

But you have to do a big water change when it finishes before getting fish.
Does this just mean removing all the water with the siphon tube (but leaving the gravel in??) and then replacing it all with new declorinated water and heating it up to the required level

And also does the filter be washed with the water I took out or do I just put the new water in without that?

Is this any good as a siphon tube https://amzn.to/2TbZAvZ as I don’t really know what to get, as something suitable for the tank I have

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was leaving the filter till later as we've thrown so much info at you already :)

Filter instructions usually say that you need to change the media (the stuff inside the filter) every so many weeks or months. The problem with doing this is that the media is where the good bacteria live so if you replace the media you take out the good bacetria you've just spent all that time and effort growing. For the first few weeks, the filter media should not be touched. The good bacteria don't live floating in the water, they live attached to surfaces like the filter media and until they are firmly attached, we shouldn't touch the media. After about 6 weeks, we can then clean the media. We do this as part of a water change. The media is put into the bucket of water you've just taken out and squeezed gently or swooshed around if it is the type that can't be squeezed. You just need to remove the brown goo that will be on the media - this is decomposing fish poop and decomposing uneaten food. Them we put the media back into the filter.

Something I have forgotten to mention. Before starting a water change, unplug the filter and heater. Filters have an impeller which moves the water through the filter and if it is turned on when the water level drops, this will burn out the motor. If a heater turns on when it's out of the water it can crack. So just unplug them before you start then plug them back in when you've finished.

Does this just mean removing all the water with the siphon tube (but leaving the gravel in??) and then replacing it all with new declorinated water and heating it up to the required level
Yes that's right. You only have to do this once if you use ammonia from a bottle, and that's right at the end.

I have googled that filter and before you start anything, I would change it a bit. Manufacturers for some reason love putting things in filters which you don't actually need. From their website it has
  • Physical filtration: double-layered Filter Floss Pads reliably remove even the tiniest particles. White side = coarse pre-filter, green side = fine filter
  • Biological filtration: Filter Foam and Bio Filter Balls with an extra large surface area for the settlement of beneficial bacteria
  • Chemical filtration: special activated carbon to eliminate water clouding and unpleasant odours
  • The EasyCrystal Filter is also extremely easy to clean; just replace the filter cartridge every 4 weeks.
The filter foam and bioballs are good, you need those. These should be washed in old tank water not changed
The floss pads are OK - they catch the bits but filter floss usually goes into holes after a couple of washes. It's OK to change these when they fall apart.
The activated carbon is the part you don't need.

These are the bits they tell you to change
They look like the floss pads have the carbon sandwiched in the middle.

Can you tell me, do you have things that look like the green things in that link inside the filter? Is there anyhting else besides those green things?

Can you tell me, do you have things that look like the green things in that link inside the filter? Is there anyhting else besides those green things?
I haven’t got it yet I’m due to pick it up tomorrow. I can’t go making changes to things I know nothing about ☹️ Unless you know of a better tank around this size with a better filter then I’d rather not have to open things up to modify

If you haven't got the tank yet, would you consider cancelling it and getting a bigger tank? That would give you more options for bigger fish.

For example, I used to have the older version of this tank, before they invented LED lights
The only reason I got rid of it is that it was in the kitchen and we had the kitchen altered then there was no room for it :(
The filter in this tank is a bigger version of the one I have in my 23 litre tank, and it comes with a heater, one of the most reliable on the market. I like the filter. All it has inside is sponge which will last for years without needing to be replaced.

But I do understand if this tank is too big for where you want to keep it.

I’m only able to have something around size at this point due to where it’s going, if I got on on I would expand and place the tank elsewhere but as it’s all a bit of a test to see how I get on I’m limited to smaller tanks, upto 40 litres

The filter in the marina tank is another one with carbon cartridges and not much else, I'm afraid

I'll post a few tank options, see what you think.

This is Maidenhead Aquatics own brand. The filter is one I had a few years ago, it contians a sponge with a hloow filled with carbon. Just throw the carbon away and use the sponge.
You would need to buy a heater though.

The filter in the marina tank is another one with carbon cartridges and not much else, I'm afraid

I'll post a few tank options, see what you think.

This is Maidenhead Aquatics own brand. The filter is one I had a few years ago, it contians a sponge with a hloow filled with carbon. Just throw the carbon away and use the sponge.
You would need to buy a heater though.
This is a few minutes down the road so I could get that, it is smaller in litres though for the platies fish I’m having.
I don’t really understand the throwing away of carbon, why are tanks being sold with things I don’t need, that require me to modify them?

Carbon is a throwback to decades ago. No-one knew about the filter bacteria, or ammonia or nitrite. They thought water chnages were bad so only did them every few months. Because they weren't changing the water, the tank water went yellow, and fish keepers did not like this. So they used carbon to remove the yellow. We now know that water changes are good and should be done once a week, so the water doesn't turn yellow. So we don't need carbon. But that doesn't stop filter makers still putting it every filter.

All carbon does is remove the yellow colour from water, and the brown colour that comes out of wood if there's some in the tank; it removes medication so you have to take it out if you ever have sick fish, but put it back after treatment has finished to remove the medication. Nowadays most of us prefer to use media which is a good home for the bacteria as we don't need to use carbon.

Platies need a tank at least 60 cm long, and you've said you can't take a tank that big. You will find fish profiles everywhere on-line but anyone can set up a website or post a YouTube video without knowing anything about fish. There is one site you can trust as we know it is written by fish experts. Here is their profile on platies
You'll see on there that the minimum tank size for platies is 60 x 30 x 30 cm.

This is why I suggested in a previous post that endlers would be a better alternative for a smaller tank.

Several members have these tanks, they do come in various sizes

Several members have these tanks, they do come in various sizes
Would I have the same problem in the filter with those?

Most reactions

Back