help there are nasty things in my water!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kwbear3

Reaction score
:sick: i was doing my routine cleaning of the gravel and saw some baby fry in the tank so i started to suck them out of the bad bucket water and into a fry tank when i noticed some nasty looking white things all over in the water. they are shaped like leeches but the biggest one i see is only 2-3 mm long they are gross. :sick: can anyone tell me what they are and how to get rid of them without killing my fry?????

it couldn't be old food, that was my first thought so i started poking at them with a toothpick and they were flopping around. that's when i saw more at the bottom of the bucket, :sick: it was really gross i had my hands in the water to get teh babies out. :sick: these things were moving around.

odds are they are planaria, completely harmless, normally a sign of overfeeding, do a search on here for planaria and you'll see pictures of them and more info.

:sick: thanks for all swift replies i will definetely be letting the fish have some planaria for dinner. :sick: i'm sooooooooo glad they are harmless i was worried they might have been a lice or a fluke type thing. :sick: thanks again.

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh will the planaria eat my danio eggs and fry?????????? -_- :unsure: :crazy:

You know, I'm really not sure, they might. Someone should come along in a moment or two who knows the answer. Just do several thorough gravel vacs over the next week or two, and cut back a little on how much you are feeding, and they will disappear rapidly.

Planarin worms. Harmless but icky.

various species shown here...
(larger than actual size.. thank heavens!)
worms.jpg

thank you all again, i will definetely not feed the fish for a couple of days. blech :sick: . they are sooooooooooo gross. i'm just glad they are harmless!! ;)

Most reactions

Back