Help. Platys stacked at bottom corner.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MetiSeifu

Reaction score
All 5 of our platys, 10 gallon tank, have taken into a habit of stacking near eachother at bottom corner of tanks. We did a half-tank water change, checked Ammonia levels, all looks ok except nitrite level being a tad higher. But more and more fish seem to stack together at the bottom looking as if they are asleep - and only swimming around a few times a day [still eating voraciously, though - we feed them pinches twice a day].

Please help! These are our first fish and we have only had them for two weeks.

P.s. They are two male and three females. One maybe... maybe.. pregnant. Or full bodied. Not sure.

Attachments

• 20200126_111538.jpg
    20200126_111538.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200126_093515.jpg
    20200126_093515.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
It sounds like a cycling issue, but if you could provide more info it will help members advise. How long have you had the tank running? Was it cycled and if yes, how?

Nitrite...do you actually mean nitrite is above zero, or nitrate? Always give numbers for any tests so members know exactly what they are.

Seattle has very soft water (as I do up north of you in SW BC) and not hard enough for livebearers like platies so this will seriously weaken them and compromise their physiology. Are you increasing the hardness of the water somehow? Are any additives being used?

What is the GH? And the pH?

The water looks a little cloudy and the fish have clamped fins, which is an indication of poor water quality. Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH level.

Do a 75% water chsnage and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Some times my platys hide when the males are picking on them too much you could add more females if you see this happening.

Some times my platys hide when the males are picking on them too much you could add more females if you see this happening.
She mentioned above that the male is hiding too

Yes, in fact the two males were the ones who took to hiding at first - hiding inside the decors and in the corner with their stomach touching the sand.

We took a sample to the Pet Store after I posted, and were told the water was good and safe for fish. We were also advised against Marine Salt which we read would bring down the nitrite. We have bought another plant, because they said plants help bring Nitrite down, and the fish appear to be a little more active this evening - but then again this is their meal time and they are usually active at around dinner time. None appear to be gasping for breath, although "Bender" [the fish that likes the whisky barrel decor] is still sitting immovable behind it, like he was waiting to die. I am hoping it is all due to the change of water from Friday and they would all come out alive. Thanks all for your advice.

Last edited:
Yes, in fact the two males were the ones who took to hiding at first - hiding inside the decors and in the corner with their stomach touching the sand.

We took a sample to the Pet Store after I posted, and were told the water was good and safe for fish. We were also advised against Salt Marine which we read would bring down the nitrite. We have bought another plant, and the fish appear to be a little more active this evening - but then again this is their meal time and they are usually active at around dinner time. None appear to be gasping, although "Bender" [the fish that likes the whisky barrel decor] is still sitting behind it, like he was waiting to die. I am hoping it is all due to the change of water from Friday and they would all come out alive. Thanks all for your advice.
Did you get the actual water parameter numbers from them? Chain pet stores often do not understand what the readings mean and will tell you it's fine...

Did you get the actual water parameter numbers from them? Chain pet stores often do not understand what the readings mean and will tell you it's fine...
No. But we have been tasting the water using a strip and only the nitrite was slightly off color - and not even by much.

No. But we have been tasting the water using a strip and only the nitrite was slightly off color - and not even by much.

Can you please give us the test numbers? Telling us the store said they were fine is not helpful as we don't know what they may consider "fine."

Also, the GH and pH is still crucial here. You are in Seattle which has very soft water. What is the GH and pH?

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.

If there is any ammonia or nitrite, the fish are being poisoned. You reduce ammonia, nitrite and nitrate by doing big water changes.

Noticed this morning that one of the male fish, the one who started the sitting@bottom game, is covered in white dust-ish thing. I have noticed a little bit on him before but it is much worse now. So googled it and found out it is fungus. Have ordered medication from Amazon to be delivered tonight. Gonna put it in and see if it helps. So frustrating and sad that they are sick and we did not know, despite doing everything we were supposed to do. Hope there is still time to save them.

Last edited:
Do a 75% water change every day.

Noticed this morning that one of the male fish, the one who started the sitting@bottom game, is covered in white dust-ish thing. I have noticed a little bit on him before but it is much worse now. So googled it and found out it is fungus. Have ordered medication from Amazon to be delivered tonight. Gonna put it in and see if it helps. So frustrating and sad that they are sick and we did not know, despite doing everything we were supposed to do. Hope there is still time to save them.

You are not providing us with the data we need to reallyhelp you. The "fungus" is secondary, if it is fungus, but in either case almost guaranteed to be linked to the water conditions and parameters. It is more likely an excess of slime coat that the fish is producing in an attempt to deal with the water problems.

If you want us to help you, can you please provide the test results for GH and pH (parameter aspect) and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

The addition of more medication will likely kill them by adding more stress, as this is not likely to be the issue. And to be honest, I doubt you will be able to save these fish, but we need those numbers.

Last edited:
Ok. Here goes:

Nitrate 20, gh 75, chlorine 0, kh 120, ph 7.2,
Nitrite between 0 and .5
Ammonia .5

post new pictures of fish affected by fungus so we can confirm it is fungus.

the best treatment for livebearers (platies, swordtails, mollies, guppies) with fungal infections is salt.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back