Help !parasites In Fish In Joint Shrimp/fish Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

pippoodle

RIP Dear nan 22/03/1925 --11/03/2009
Reaction score
I got some excellent advice from wilder on treating suspected gill parasites on fish but we're not sure as only one fish has swollen red gills but the rest are flicking and itching - unfortunately the treatments kill snails and shrimps and i have cherry shrimps and lots of tiny cherry shrimplets and amano shrimps and apple snails in my 180l community tank
THREAD ON FISH [URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=259864"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=259864[/URL]
There's no way i can fish out all the baby shrimps and i dont want to kill them :(
Is there anything i can use to help get rid of the parasites that wont kill the shrimp - i'm sure i read somewhere that salt helps to kill parasites - SOMEONE PLEASE HELP :(

Instead of moving the shrimp you could try moving the fish? If you can't do that then you'll have to sacrifice the shrimplets for your fish. :/

Unfortunately most meds for flukes and other parasites are just as good as killing shrimp as what they're intended to do. I don't know of anything off hand that will only kill the parasites.

Yeah I have lots of shrimp and snails in one tank and some large amphibians and snails in my other. When ever parasites come up all the fish get removed to a different tank and are treated there. This of course is a big pain in the rear, which is why all fish are quarantined for 3 weeks or more before they go in either of those tank.

When I had an outbreak of ich all the fish got moved and my 20gal tank sat fishless for about 6 weeks to let the ich died off naturally, which worked and by the end of those 6 weeks the cherry shrimp had multiplied into a couple hundred.

got nowhere to put all my fish thats the problem grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
i'll try and find as many of my shrimp as possible but i've got quite a heavily planted tank and its not going to be easy

will moving the amanos while they are berried make them drop out of stress ?

can the ich (or other similar parasite for that matter) survive with shrimp/snails as a host? or would they just die off?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back