Help out a delicate fish

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello, over the past 3 years, my tank has gone from a dumbo guppy colony to a mixed xiphophorus colony with other robust fish.
A few months ago I just got a single male guppy, and he has really long fins. He keeps on getting nipped, and he might have gotten fin rot this time... I can probably treat him however.

what can I do to reduce aggression on him? get more fancy male guppies? more female guppies?

currently i have 3-4 robust dumbo young males, 3-4 young females, 1 huge female, 1 small but extremely fancy male (fish in question).
even the young robust dumbo males have larger and thicker bodies than him, and are much more active

If a group have decided to pick on another fish, you need to get the fish out of there and keep it away from them so they don't kill it.

Guppies live in groups of males or females and they have a pecking order with a dominant male ruling other males in the group (same deal with a dominant female ruling females in her group). If a fish is not wanted in the group, the others drive it away. The fish can swim off and hide in the vast expanse on the river. This can't happen in an aquarium and the fish will be killed if it's not removed.

Last edited:
If a group have decided to ick on another fish, you need to get the fish out of there and kee it away from them so they don't kill it.

Guppies live in groups of males or females and they have a pecking order with a dominant male ruling other males in the group (same deal with a dominant female ruling females in her group). If a fish is not wanted in the group, the others drive it away. The fish can swim off and hide in the vast expanse on the river. This can't happen in an aquarium and the fish will be killed if it's not removed.
alright, I have this outdoor guppy colony with mixed fancies. Is there a way I will know that they accept him?

Nope, they might accept him or they might tell him to nick off. Try him in with them and see how he goes. If he gets picked on for more than a few days, move him out.

Nope, they might accept him or they might tell him to nick off. Try him in with them and see how he goes. If he gets picked on for more than a few days, move him out.
i see. after I complete his treatment, i will try that.
If nothing else works, I will move him in with the medakas just by himself

Most reactions

Back