FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have a 29 gallon sand substrate tank:

Stocking was:

8 cories (a variety)
9 tiger barbs (3 green, 3 albino, 3 regular)

I returned one of the green ones since he was terrorizing the other barbs as he was bigger. One of the albinos died and this morning I found one of the regular ones was dead inside on of the fake plants. The albino that was the “alpha” of the tank is now hiding behind a temple. This is my first time with barbs and I am confused what is happening with them

So I have a 29 gallon sand substrate tank:

Stocking was:

8 cories (a variety)
9 tiger barbs (3 green, 3 albino, 3 regular)

I returned one of the green ones since he was terrorizing the other barbs as he was bigger. One of the albinos died and this morning I found one of the regular ones was dead inside on of the fake plants. The albino that was the “alpha” of the tank is now hiding behind a temple. This is my first time with barbs and I am confused what is happening with them
Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?

Yes I cycled the tank. This all happened over the course of about two week (after about a month of the tank being cycled and slowly adding the fish in. I quarantined them all before adding them into the tank.

What are the water test results for today? What size tank and are the cories showing any problems? How are the remining barbs looking?

Water tests are:
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrate : 0 ppm
Nitrite : 0 ppm
PH: 7

I’ll do a 60% water change rn for the ammonia.

It’s a 29 gallon marine land the dimensions are 30” by 12” by 18”

The cories all look great it’s just the barbs acting strange (I at least think since I’ve never had them)

The other barbs it seems like one of the regular ones is chasing them around while sometimes two of them follow him. The other two pretty much just hide

What you are describing is normal tiger barb behaviour. This is a feisty fish, on the aggressive side. In a 29g tank (which is the smallest for this species) a group of 12-15 (you can mix the varieties, they are all the same species) usually keeps order, but there are always exceptions.

Chasing is to be expected, as the barbs will have an hierarchy of sorts. If the "chasing" becomes fin biting and terrorizing other barbs, that has gone too far.

Once my numbers dropped to eight they picked each other off one by one. I gave my brother in law the last four and now he is down to the last two. They are not old, I bought the school last summer. Shame, in a big group they were the most beautiful fish.

Yeah they pick on one fish or one terrorizes all them like fin nipping, not just chasing and playing. What should I do. Would I be overstocking my tank if I add enough to make 12?

No, Byron would not have suggested 12-15 if it would be overstocking.

I have 10 Odessa barbs in my 38 gallon and they are doing well with the rest of the community.
Although I’ve bought them as juveniles, as with the rest of fish in my tank.
I think with some barbs you also need to get the sex ratio right. Mine are 2 males 8 females.

Numbers for a shoaling species is usually a matter of making sure there is sufficient space for a decent sized group, and the more there are the better the fish will be health-wise. This holds across the board for all such species because the expectation is programmed into the fish's DNA. Provide what the fish "expect" and hopefully all goes well, and it usually does with mnost of the shoaling species (all characins, cyprinids, atherinids, some catfish, etc.).

There are however a few species where the number is even more critical. Tiger Barb is one, and Serpae Tetra is another. A group of at least 12-15 in a 30g (29g basic) tank is absolute minimum. No other upper level fish (unless a significantly larger tank); substrate fish (cories, some other pleco-types) are usually OK with these, but the TB or the ST must be the only upper fish, and in this number. This usually keeps them disciplined, though again individual fish do not read the scientific literature on how they are meant to behave and may decide differently.

The second thing I need to mention here is about adding more to an existing group. It is for good scientific-based evidence that I and others always say to put the entire intended group together at the same time in the display tank; this too holds for all shoaling species. The hierarchy in those species where this is relevant will become established fairly quickly; in all cases the fish will settle in faster and with less stress meaning less trouble going forward the more of them there are. With numbers like 12-15 for the TB and ST there is generally a peaceful establishment within the group. If you start out with fewer than the entire intended group, there is usually trouble not far down the road. Adding more to such an "established" group may or may not work; newcomers can be torn to shreds within days sometimes.

The third thing to keep in mind is that both the species named above have been commercially raised for decades. This inevitably causes problems for the fish, and increased aggression is a common one, along with a weakening in general. So you have a couple of strikes against this working right off the bat.

I have a 29 gallon tank with presently 5 tiger barbs, 1 bolivian ram, one BN pleco, and 2 pepper cories. The most I ever had in that tank was 9 Tiger Barbs. I never had an issue where they got aggressive to the point of attacking each other. I lost 4 Tiger Barbs over the last 2 years..not sure of the cause...,looked like Dropsy. Over the years, I have had to add a few younger and smaller Tiger Barbs to increase the school but never saw any issues of aggression....just feed them properly. They generally school together going back and forth in the tank.

My black skirt tetras in my 35 gallon tall hex on the other hand often chase each other but don't cause injuries that I can see.

Last edited:
Currently I have 7 cories and 5 tiger barbs ( just got them recently so I feel like adding new ones won’t cause a dramatic issue, especially if they are from the same tank) . I will go back and add another 7 barbs. However, how would I sex them? Also, if I notice it being overcrowded, I can always try to move the cories to my cichlid tank? (Would that work)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back