Additional photos

Attachments

• C1D69EDA-FE60-4A37-A0B2-5E538EAD2B15.jpeg
    C1D69EDA-FE60-4A37-A0B2-5E538EAD2B15.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 2FE585CC-3166-4BCB-80C0-E81CBE04559B.jpeg
    2FE585CC-3166-4BCB-80C0-E81CBE04559B.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 117
Don’t know where you are located but in the US, I’d recommend dosing with Kanaplex and Furan-2 together. Kanaplex is an antibiotic and Furan-2 treats bacterial infections. You’d need to do it quickly. I keep both in my medicine kit. Good luck!

Unfortunately by the evening of my last post, both had died. Should I continue treating the tank just to be safe? The other fish seem perfectly fine

Well in my experience sometimes some types fish are susceptible and some are not. Case in pint I had rummynoses come down with like a wasting or parasites while bristlenose and electric blue rams never came down with it - lost 5 and the few others recovered and test were great.

So imho you are prolly out of the woods ... nice good water change and roll onwards - I would not get the same type of fish as replacements for that specific tank - I’d get something else unrelated or super hardy - not sure what you’ve got and temps I’ll go back and look

What type of danios? Zebra or Giant Danios?

What size is your tank?

If the fish died then stop treating the tank with whatever you were using to treat it.

Do not use Kanamycin or Furan 2 because it will wipe out the filter bacteria.

Do not add any new fish for a month.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank. The big daily water changes will dilute the number of disease organisms in the water and give the remaining fish a chance to heal themselves.

Newly imported guppies (those from pet shops) regularly have this problem but in a clean tank it does not spread. If you get locally bred fish or breed your own, they are normally fine.

All new fish, and especially livebearers, should be quarantined for a month before being added to a display tank. Whilst in quarantine, livebearers should be treated with salt (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) for 2 weeks, and Praziquantel for 3 treatments done once a week for 3 weeks.

If the fish died then stop treating the tank with whatever you were using to treat it.

Do not use Kanamycin or Furan 2 because it will wipe out the filter bacteria.

Do not add any new fish for a month.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank. The big daily water changes will dilute the number of disease organisms in the water and give the remaining fish a chance to heal themselves.

Newly imported guppies (those from pet shops) regularly have this problem but in a clean tank it does not spread. If you get locally bred fish or breed your own, they are normally fine.

All new fish, and especially livebearers, should be quarantined for a month before being added to a display tank. Whilst in quarantine, livebearers should be treated with salt (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) for 2 weeks, and Praziquantel for 3 treatments done once a week for 3 weeks.
Prazi and also Paraguard is also good imho.

Hello, Welcome to the forums .

Very sorry for your loss.

From what I know there are probably one of two reasons the guppies got sick and the zebra danios did not.

#1 your water may be too soft
Guppies need hard water to do well, often the most symptom of incorrect water chemistry in hard or soft water fish is opportunistic infections brought on by the resulting stress.

Zebra danios, on the other hand , are happiest in soft water, but are relatively tough in that respect and do well in a wide range of parameters.

This toughness brings me to
possibly #2 Incomplete cycle.

NOTE: If you have already Cycled using instructions similar to these
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
, then feel free to disregard the rest of the post.

Zebra Danios are in general more resistant to the ammonia and nitrite spikes that often come with a new aquarium.

It can take 30-40 days for a biological filter to fully establish in an aquarium, and despite what some websites and even pet stores claim, the process does not start without an ammonia source.

Also, bacteria in a bottle products still tend to have a delay, usually only halving cycling time at best.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back