Help Needed - Male Molly Swollen

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MissFrizyCee

Reaction score
Hi, i need some help finding out whats wrong with my male molly fish, i feed and watch my tank regularly and as i have got up in the night i have noticed he's swollen, im sure this isnt normal and wondered if anyone has any advice for me???
Thanks...

it wont allow me as it says file to big :( i do believe its that kidney failure disease but he's ok, swimming like normal, eating and pooping normal, only thing is the other fish follow him around aggressively since this has happened so i've had to separate him just in case it does cause more stress. im worried for him as he's one of my first fish :(

To post a pic you'll either need to
A. Make the photo smaller or
B. Upload to a website like photobucket then add the link.

Sounds like it may be constipated. Try boiling a pea, deshelling it, then mush it up with the back of a fork and feed it to him.

as i have came home he seems to be a little better, he has lost some of the swelling, still his usual self, he still looks a bit spikey, also tried given him the cooked pea, he didnt want to eat it but eventually did, not to sure what happened but hopefully he's getting better! :) gave me a scare anyway, any ideas if this happens in his breed for any reason other then illness??.. other than that, thanks guys! :D

If you gave him the pea then the swelling began to go down sounds like constipation. Sounds like he's better now :good:

After a couple days it went down... Now it seems it's back again :'( I have read online that it may be dropsy as he has spikey scales.. ( I really hoped it wasn't) but I haven't seen anywhere that the dropsy swelling would go down then back up., does anyone know of this?? I have started to feed him on the peas again instead of the usual food... If it is dropsy this guys a little fighter god bless him :( help greatly apriciated

After a couple days it went down... Now it seems it's back again :'( I have read online that it may be dropsy as he has spikey scales.. ( I really hoped it wasn't) but I haven't seen anywhere that the dropsy swelling would go down then back up., does anyone know of this?? I have started to feed him on the peas again instead of the usual food... If it is dropsy this guys a little fighter god bless him :( help greatly apriciated

I lost a platy to dropsy at xmas and it was awful. If his scales are stuck out and he looks fluffed up then it could well be dropsy. My platy was behaving normally - eating, swimming round etc but he never got any better despite putting meds in for him.

The main worry comes if he dies in the tank when your not there and the other fish start to eat him. As the parasite that causes dropsy is internal that is how it is passed on.

My advice would be to remove him and isolate him if you can. If he doesn't get better the kindest thing is to end it for him. There are various ways of doing this as quickly and kindly as you can. Clove oil is mentioned on here a lot as the kindest way. I ended up leaving my platy in a jug of water (only about an inch or so) on the window cill and covering the jug with a cloth. He passed peacefully in a couple of hours.

As the parasite that causes dropsy is internal that is how it is passed on.

Dropsy is a symptom, and can be caused by a number of things, not just parasites. It is caused by the failure of the internal organs, causing the body to swell up with liquid. Obviously, when internal organs fail, it's a pretty serious situation, and 99.9% of cases are fatal - by the time the swelling shows, it's pretty much too late.

The only thing to try would be to isolate the fish into a bath of Epsom Salts, to try to draw the lqiuid out.

And peas are not a miracle cure for constipation, they can just sometimes be helpful for some fish.

sounds like droppsy to me. my baloon molly died from it, and really quick. so if it looks like he is swollen and always stays on the bottom of the tank, and looks like fir cone it def droppsy. :sad:

Thanks guys :( he's separated already but haven't tried the salts.. I first thought it was dropsy but I have him a pea b4 and the swelling went right down back to his normal size so that's why it was confusing. He's his usual self still, I dont think I could do the clove oil thing as I still have hope because as I said he did go down, he's been up and down for a while so I'm sure he's a little fighter.. So I'm going to try all I can for him :(

Oh... And his personality is the same, swims all over the place, eats as normal... I'm going to try all I can to help him he's my first fish and I don't want to give up on him just yet

Most reactions

trending

Back