Help! My Black Ghost Knife Fish Has Serrated Anal Fin..

Hi,

My tap water test's @ 80 :sad:

I dont believe i am overstocked, and i try not to overfeed, infact i probably underfeed, usually once, maybe twice a day.

What shall i do guys, go RO or look at blue filters?

Thanks again.

Ouch. I'd try and contact your water company, I know where I live the nitrates aren't supposed to be over a certain limit. What test kit are you using? The API one has a tendency to give a higher reading than what it really is.

I guess you could go ro. I don't really know what else you could do. I've never had any issues with this so I never tried to figure out what to do.

Yes have read about the sceptical API test for nitrates(API liquid test kit is what im using),
I followed the instructions guide book but shook the 2nd bottle for the full 2 minutes as suggested of here I think.

A friend of mine actually works for the local water company so I shall pick his brains.

Hi,

My tap water test's @ 80 :sad:

I dont believe i am overstocked, and i try not to overfeed, infact i probably underfeed, usually once, maybe twice a day.

What shall i do guys, go RO or look at blue filters?

Thanks again.

You could go RO water and then add back in the trace minerals ( Liquid RO Right ) which comes in a liquid form.
I currently use approx 50% RO and 50% tap. Not sure it makes a difference in my system but it may in yours.
Maybe others could give you some additional advice.

sorry it 86 UK gallons. not 89 :)
No visible bite marks just shredded fins really.

amonia 0
nitrite 0.50 < .25 up from a test a few days back!
nitrate 80

BGKF and oscar have got on really so far, so fingers do point towards the cat?! :(

Thanks for the help so far.

your nitrite needs to be 0

could be a result of nitrite poisining

I used an ro system on a 75g discus set up. Pure ro, mixed in a trash can with kent ro right. I used pure ro as my tap was VERY hard and had a very high pH. You could used ro and tap mixed but I'd imagine with your nitrates you'd have to add enough ro water that you would have to add back some trace minerals.

Currently the only setup I have that uses ro is a 10g sw. That's quite a bit easier since you're dealing with much less water.

Ar ok i see.

Thanks Guys I'll do some digging around on here on the subject of RO
and ask the lfs to see how much it is as they do supply it I think.

Good news is knifeys fin's are all back to normal and looking very healthy now.

My friend who works for southern water is coming round on the weekend so will ask him the deal with the tap water too.

Thought I would update this! and ask a question at the same time.

Have been exchanging the tank water over the last week with 3 x25L of RO water & minerals each time
and the nitrate is going down, still at 40 , but more RO over the next few weeks should solve that problem
completely I hope.

Onto the question, Im going to need a good hiding place for knifey soon as its outgrown its usuall hiding inside
plant hiding spot, and even a big bit of bogwood will soon be to small, however my knifey doesnt seem to like
going into any sort of tubing, anyone got some inventive ideas for nice hiding spots?

Most reactions

Back