Help Me Identify My Hillstream Loach Please (Pics)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the type and sex of a hillstream loach I got from my LFS.  The employee told me this striped HSL is more uncommon and more hardy.  It was labelled "UFO" at my LFS.  His/her name is Posey (any baseball fans, he/she is named after San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey).  Thanks for any help!

View from on top:

View from under (and female apisto cacatuoides):

P.S. I saw a clown pleco that day for $5.  I was so tempted, but alas, I don't have any soft driftwood.

Its most likely Gastromyzon viriousus, as for trying to sex it that can be hard but usually the males will have some small barbels around the top of their snout. Fin shape can also sex some of the Borneo Suckers namely the dorsal fins and how rounded they are and at what angle they protrude from the body closest to the head.

Thanks Baccus!  After a bit more digging, I found the tail colors and patterns matched better Gastromyzon zebrinus.  Your info was the springboard I needed to ID the loach though. 
smile.png

No worries they are a great peaceful fish and like being in groups. Because they are hard to get and even harder to get specific species in my area I have 18 odd Borneo suckers all Gastromyzon species.
Here is one of my guys I call Tigger, he doesn't seem to really match either G. zebrinus or G. viriousus

Where as these other guys are much easier to identify.

This pic you can just see his little barbels

Even though the experts say these guys don't need or like plants, I find the opposite.

And feeding time, just some of them on their feeding rock

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back