The problem with not doing water changes is that element plant and animals don't need or are toxic will build up over time. And there is a lot of stuff in tap water. Strontium, lead, mercury, arsenic uranium are just a few that are probably in the water. Granted they are at low levels but it doesn't take a lot to become toxic. And this does happen in nature. Mono lake for example.'Didn't do a water change for months and the algae cleared" Say that on ukaps or any other plant board and they would ban you.
So for Isaacorth if not doing a water change does work I would advise to either do small once weekly water change (like one liter a week) or to do a larger water change months apart. This would help prevent the water from becoming toxic.