Help! Loach Dying!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Crossfire

Cogito Ergo Sum
Reaction score
I came home to day to find that Luke the kuhli was in severe distress! He was weakly swimming around in circles, looked like he was caught on some string algae. So I cut him free, but now he's breathing heavily and flopping weakly around. He won't even swim away, he let's me pick him up. I thought maybe he had algae caught in his gills, but I can't see anything!
He keeps swimming torwards my hand when I put it in, trying to hide between my fingers like he's saying "Help me!"
Please, please help! I can't lose another loach! It's heartbreaking, please help!
Stats are normal, Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 40-50ppm

I can't see anything, if anything's stuck I can't see it!
He's just siiting in one spot breathing fast and slowly shaking his head like he's saying "No no no no"

Please, someone help! :-( :no:

i would say do a water change just in case something get into the tank that your not testing? whats his colour compared to normal? 40 to 50ppm can be high for some but i presume it is fine for you, you 100% sure no one is attacking him? make sure he has some where ot hide if that is the case, sadly with something like this you just got to sit and watch see how he reacts now, maybe stress from being tangled and just needs to find himself again that he is free, chuck in some prime or stresscoat that will relieve some stress saved my fish a few times

other than that all i can say is good luck and hope he makes a full recovery, keep an eye on his breathing over the few hours or even days and hope it recovers

No fish is even near him...no fish would go after a loach
I'm afraid to do a water change....won't that stress him?

depends on how server of a water change you do, depends on how big the tank is too, I'm guessing not get big so a small water change try gently lowing the water in rather than dumping it in and having it at the same temp will help lower stress, fish are very hardy in nature they can survive when something changes temporarily, just keep an eye on him thats the best you can do like i said if you have API or prime use that even if your not doing a water change its amazing at healing stressed fish used it on a goldfish that was almost dead and OMG it worked and is not swimming lot all its fins yes ALL of them and now its fully healed :)

I added a 1ml of StressCoat+, it's my regular dechlorinator.
His whole body is shaking he's breathing so fast.......

:-(

aaaw, i really do hope he makes a full recovery good on the stress coat it will help him out, if some algae has got down into him it may be to late but i am positive it hasn't :) my fingers are crossed there is not much you can do but watch and hope and do a water change if you feel its needed, if he is severally stressed, then a water change wont do much but help fresh water may help but again it is up to you

I would also advise you leave the lights off and let him calm down. I would advise against adding Stresscoat to try and calm down a scaleless fish, may just agitate them.

I did a small water change....StressCoat+ is bad for loaches? :no: I've been using it for months! :eek:
Poor guy is swimming around more, but he's just flopping, really. It looks like he's having trouble steering with his head....He's still breathing rapidly...I put my hand in and he swam between two fingers so I lifted him and placed him under the almond leaf for some cover, but he didn't seem to like it and wobbled out again... :-(

I've turned off the light, and I added Purigen and some carbon....
I really, really hope my little Lukey makes it :-(

For future reference, would it be good just to use Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator and then use Stress Guard weekly for stress and healing? My gouramis tend to have nipped fins, which is why I use StressCoat+...

i have scaleless fish in my tank and they have no problems with stress coat+ should work in my eyes i have not tested it on kulis tho, my loaches prefer it, again lights off is a good idea and just sit and wait, putting in your fingers in my eyes will only make things worse as altho to you it seems fine, but to the fish you are probably some what a giant :) and if a giant walked up to your door i'm sure you will run and screem :) haha i know i probably would :p

Yes, prime is much better.
Sorry Luke isn't well, seems you're doing all the right things. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both.

i have scaleless fish in my tank and they have no problems with stress coat+ should work in my eyes i have not tested it on kulis tho, my loaches prefer it, again lights off is a good idea and just sit and wait, putting in your fingers in my eyes will only make things worse as altho to you it seems fine, but to the fish you are probably some what a giant
smile.png
and if a giant walked up to your door i'm sure you will run and screem
smile.png
haha i know i probably would
tongue2.gif

When I say I picked him up, I didn't mean violently grab at him. I curled my index finger and gently scooped him up and he hung there like a limp noodle.

I put a blanket over the tank as well as shutting of the lights...mom refuses to turn off living room lights... :grr:

stop putting your hands in the tank, your scaring the fish more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back