Help Identifying A Fish?

ART24

New Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello,



I was asking around for some suggestions on how and what fish to set-up a new tank with (125gallon). I was told there was a 'dolphin fish' for freshwater that was one of the most enjoyable fish to watch. After hearing the description of the fish I assumed it was an elephant-nose. I pulled up pictures and the gentlemen told me that wasn't it. After researching and researching the only thing that I found that he said looks like it could be it was in this video...



http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ms4w4i0O-Y0



Do you have any idea what the true name for that fish is?
 
If you look at some of the other videos of dolphin fish, they get a pretty good size, far too big for a 125G. Did you hear someone say that this fish was good for aquaria on TFF? Cause if they knew what they were saying, they shouldn't haven't recommended this to you. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen this sold in any lfs
 
I am not sure how big they get or much at all about this fish to be honest. That is why I have been trying to research it to learn before I just go out and try to find it. The person that told me about it said they had it in a smaller tank than I have for a few years ( I know that doesn't mean it should be in a smaller tank just because it survived) it's reall hard to tell from that video how big it is or if that is full grown or how aggresive or what speical needs it might have.
 
Have you checked out the two links i just gave you? They contain a fair amount of info on the fish i suggested that the mystery fish could be :nod: .
 
yes...it looks very smililar...if not the same it is for sure in the same family...and it looks like those get up to 40 inches possibly which means either they grow real slow which is what allowed this guy to have them for as long as he did or he stunted their growth maybe?
 
yes...it looks very smililar...if not the same it is for sure in the same family...and it looks like those get up to 40 inches possibly which means either they grow real slow which is what allowed this guy to have them for as long as he did or he stunted their growth maybe?


Its possible that the fishes growth was either stunted or that it is a slightly different Mormyrid which doesn't grow as large- the fish data base in the links given has quite a few other Mormyrid type fish if you want to check them out :thumbs: .
 
thanks for your help. I'll keep my eyes out at the pet s tores I go to and ask them as well. I think you narrowed down about as much as possible as it doesn't seem like this is a fish that is commonly kept anymore (which is likely due to how big they get)
 
Mormyrus tapirus I think is what I was looking for. I'll have to show this picture and confirm with the guy who told me. This one gets significantly smaller but likely will still too big for even a 125 gallon tank at 16 inches max. I am sure there are still something similar but smaller however I find most of these family will require much more running space than anything less than a massive aquarium offers.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top