Help! I think I have a Cory Fry?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

should not be eaten if you have small cories..
very cute!!

Very informative article, thank you! I did do a ton of research on the species before buying them, but I never intended to breed them haha. Do all the fry just look the same or something?
Welcome...not sure if all 3 look alike as juvies, never was lucky enough to have fry

The fry in the photo has not yet developed its species pattern, and I've no idea as to its age or when it does, but it will. It is large enough not to be eaten by its own species, probably, but if you can, I would leave it where it is until it has grown a bit more. Provide some cover such as a piece of bogwood (that is likely how it survived so far after hatching).

The eggs are generally what get eaten, by any fish coming upon them; if an egg (or several) escape being eaten and hatch, there is a good chance the fry will survive depending upon other species in the tank obviously. Infusoria is a first food, and this occurs on surfaces (wood, plant leaves, substrate) in established tanks. You can also add dried leaves which are an incredible source of infusoria as they decompose, and all fry will grow faster with dried leaves present. Oak, maple, beech, and similar hardwood tree dried leaves, collected from the ground after they fall in autumn, are safe depending upon the collecting site. Or almond leaves purchased in fish stores or online.

I would also toss in a shrimp pellet. I found that my cory fry of several species seemed to learn/realize that this was food very early. Omega One shrimp pellets are about the best.

The fry in the photo has not yet developed its species pattern, and I've no idea as to its age or when it does, but it will. It is large enough not to be eaten by its own species, probably, but if you can, I would leave it where it is until it has grown a bit more. Provide some cover such as a piece of bogwood (that is likely how it survived so far after hatching).

The eggs are generally what get eaten, by any fish coming upon them; if an egg (or several) escape being eaten and hatch, there is a good chance the fry will survive depending upon other species in the tank obviously. Infusoria is a first food, and this occurs on surfaces (wood, plant leaves, substrate) in established tanks. You can also add dried leaves which are an incredible source of infusoria as they decompose, and all fry will grow faster with dried leaves present. Oak, maple, beech, and similar hardwood tree dried leaves, collected from the ground after they fall in autumn, are safe depending upon the collecting site. Or almond leaves purchased in fish stores or online.

I would also toss in a shrimp pellet. I found that my cory fry of several species seemed to learn/realize that this was food very early. Omega One shrimp pellets are about the best.
Ok! Thank you. The only other fish in the tank are my 3 Cory hastatus. I am talking to my mom now about taking me to Petco to get some shrimp pellets, new filter media, and a sponge to put over my filters intake, among a whole list of other things I need

Just went to peek at the tank and found the little baby next to one of the adult Cories. Thought I would take a picture so I can look back at how small it was haha
EF26CBE3-B746-4CFC-B6D3-6ECC605037F1.jpeg

I ordered a pre filter sponge to go on the filter intake, so this little guy doesn’t get sucked up, some extra filter sponges because I need to replace a piece of filter media, Omega One Sinking Shrimp Pellets, some frozen food for my adult Cories, and I am putting I sprinkle of community flakes and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs now! I have had my heater set to 86 the last 2 weeks, to kill off ich, is it safe to lower it now or should I leave it where it is?

Last edited:
I can’t find the little fry this morning.... is it possible the adult Cories ate it? I looked in my filter and didnt see it, and I poked around in all my plants. No sign of him.

I can’t find the little fry this morning.... is it possible the adult Cories ate it? I looked in my filter and didnt see it, and I poked around in all my plants. No sign of him.
I highly doubt he was eaten by the other corys, what other fish are in the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back