no poll, i can't make a topic for some reason

• no poll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no poll

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

halberd-blue

Reaction score
I bought 3 hermit crabs about 2 months ago, named Bob, Frank, and George. Bob and Frank are both very active, and almost always come out when I open their aquarium. I haven't seen Frank for weeks though! They are all purple claw crabs. He is larger than all the other crabs, yet has the smallest shell. His big claw is nearly as big as the entire shell, and he is so big that his eyes almost come out while he is as far in as he can go! He doesn't smell dead, and he will react a little bit if I move him around, but I can move his legs around without him doing anything about it and I'm starting to think he is stuck in his shell! He used to come out, though rarely, when I was around. The only thing I have thought of is to buy a bunch of shells and poke a few holes in his shells so he thinks his shell is bad and needs to get a new one. Should I wait awhile longer and risk him dying (he seems very weak when he does move his legs) or should I try poking holes in his shell (or is there another solution?)

Yikes....tough situation, and by the way, welcome to the forum. I wish I could give you the answer, but right now I really don't know.

We used to keep hermit crabs, and did so for many years when I was just a small child. Unfortunately, my folks are on vacation and it's a little late to call them in Florida right now, but I will call them tomorrow and ask my dad. I was a little too young to remember, but I'm sure in all those years my dad had run into the same situation.

I will post up what I find out after I speak to him tomorrow, hopefully he can offer some helpful advice.

If he is indeed stuck and you cant gently ease him out, try GENTLY cutting away at the openingof the shell.Never heard of one getting stuck though.He might just be sick.G.E.N.T.L.Y !! lol. Make sure he has a shell to get into afterwards.You should have several scattered about larger than what they are in now.(They like to choose thier own.)

I read that a hermit crab will allow himself to be pulled apart rather than be separated from his shell. I'd say poke holes in it, but for heaven's sake be careful. Do let us know what happens!

Speaking of hermit crabs, does anyone know.... once they molt, how long does it take for them to find a new shell? I discovered mine has molted last night.

Hi again, I know it took me a while, but had a hard time getting hold of my dad.

He doesn't suggest tampering with the shell, or trying to cut it away. He did run into this problem a couple times through the years, and says they will eventually come out. My father says that he might be refusing to get into a new shell because he hasn't found one that is suitable. As crimson said, make sure you provide plenty of shells of all shapes, sizes and colours. And yes, colour does matter according to my dad. He's not likely to pick a fancy painted purple shell, as he's looking for a shell that will provide him the best camoflage. His suggestion is to isolate him and set him up in his own home. Put him in a room that is a couple degrees cooler than the room he is kept in right now, and keep him in the dark for the time being. This will trick him into thinking it is night time most of the time and he'll likely come out to search for a new shell several times throughout the day.

Hope that helps...please keep us posted.

Most reactions

Back