HELP HELP!! I HAVE A BABY!

William

TFF Founder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Wooo Wooo I saw a baby platy!! There is only one in my tank I have had a good check although I guess others could be hiding :) Will a platy give birth to babies over a period of time or all in 1 go?

I only saw the baby cause one of my platies was chasing it :( I fear the worst for his future :( I ground up some flake and using my finger got it to his hideout near the hole in the bogwood where he lives :) and he darted out and ate a piece his eyes are big and he is SOOO cute (starting to sound like a girl :look: )

How big are platies when they are born mine I guess is 5mm but I am not sure as I didn't see him long. One of my platies is out to get him :angry: . What are his chances how can I improve them, I speak this as I can no longer see him lets hope for the best!!

William

Errmm another tank :)
Sorry but I don't think theres much of a chance for it surviving. Lots of plants would help hid the fry from hungry fishes :)

I have almost convinced my Mum hehehehe !

What specs would you recomend for the fry tank size filtration lighting etc... I have not seen the fish for 1 hour now and I fear the worst!

Thanks

William

Hi William,

Congratulations on the fry. I hope you do better than me on my first batch, they lasted all of about 15 mins. I had to watch my angels eat the lot. I have managed to raise 2 other batches of platy though. :)

Must say that since i have left any new platy fry to fend for them selves in the community tank my angels have doubled/trebled in size. :grin:

Gaza

:D that is awful!!

My sole survivor was scooped up in a large net which came with my tank I am using it as a breeder net until i get one tommorow it is actually almost the same size it is a big net!! He is cool has black fins and I reckon he is a baby wagtail :)

Any tips on what I am doing will be apreciated I am feeding him (/her) ground up fish flakes.

William

Good you still have it :grin:
Any thing from a 10-20gal tank is Ideal for your fry tank, even better, it would be good If you breed them in there and then took the parent out. This is better than moving the fry.

Filtration. Don't get an internal power filter as it'll just gewt sucked up, I'd advise a spomge filter or ugf.

Rose might have better Ideas, but I've found these work fine for my Cichlids

Sorry forgot feeding. You can get Livebeerers first food from most shops, can't remember the name. I've also used Microworm, and baby brine shrimp on my you fry. Once there a bit older I use flake.

Great news!!

I put him into the net and came down this morning and all was well. After school I bought 6 guppies and a pleco + gravel cleaner + breeding net (mesh type not plastic).

I put the bag in for them to aclimatise and thought ah I will just rearange the tank I have found 4 tiny weeny babies!! They are really small and I reckon newly born the other one I have is about twice the length!! The small ones are almost clear with big bulging eyes and I put them also in the breeding net.

The guppies look fab and "i think" I got a gibiceps plec instead of a normal one for the same price :) Its spines stick up and look v similar.

Most reactions

Back