Help - Fish behaving Strangely

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Galaxy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have copied this from Livebearers to see if I get any responses.

Ok. last weekend I had a molly die (which had been very weak/ill since I got her)and my Black female molly was showing signs of Ich and was also very subdued (lying on the bottom alot).

On Monday I carried out a 45% water change and added alot of salt to the tank (1.5 teaspoons per 10 litres in a 180litre) tank) increased the temp slightly to 26 degrees celcius and added some whitespot medication.

Almost instantly my beautiful silver lyretail molly started acting strangely. Instead of swimming around as normal (previously my most active fish) he spends his time hanging down vertically with his mouth at or near the surface. If you tap the tank or turn the lights off or on he briefly will swim normally for a few seconds before resuming the strange behaviour.

The other three fish are all behaving normally, in fact the black molly looks happier and more active than I have ever seen it.

From the little I know about fish that I have gained on TFF I would say that the silver molly has swim bladder disease, but it seems strange that it coincided with this water change. I know that mollies generally can tolerate salt in the water, however could too much salt in the water be giving this particular fish problems. I don't want to be rushing out and buying more and more medication and adding chemicals to the tank unnecessarily.

Sorry about the Essay but I wanted to give the full picture.

Ammonia:0
Nitrites: 1<N<5
Nitrates: 1<N<10

The tank is currently completing its first cycle. It is a 180 Litre (40 Gal UK) tank.

Yesterday evening I carried out an additional 25% water change adding no additional salt to see if reducing the salt content would help. It hasn't. the silver molly still hangs vertical rather than swimming or hovering horizontal like the other fish.

:dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back