Help! Cory cats dying☹️

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishnube88

Reaction score
I know there's probably a million threads like this but I'm brand new to the site and joined to get help for my Cory's. I'm a total fish moron (apparently) and I need y'all's help. Had fish as a kid and Bettas as an adult but they seem to tolerate anything. My new Cory's are baffling me tho. I originally got some Cory's for my betta tank, bit decided they were cool and needed their own bigger tank. They weren't healthy for 3 weeks in the betta tank. Well I setup a brand new clean water, new filtertank for them and add 6 neon tetras. All is happy when added to new tank swimming about, within 5 hours all 6 neons dead nose down in tank. 6 hours later my big favourite Julli Cory upsideways, 3 more hrs dead upside down. Soon after peppered Cory acting exactly same, now 8 hrs since then he's dead too. Nerite snails been good the whole time. Brand new baby julli zipping, and 4 red Patty's good, but worry it could all change fast. I feel like the water was soon clean vs the dirty pet store water it killed them...any advice on what's going on? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191219_224456007.jpg
    IMG_20191219_224456007.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20200109_220356185.jpg
    IMG_20200109_220356185.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 122
Did you cycle the new setup and what are your water parameters?

Rock substrate is not good for cories either as their little bristles are very delicate, go for a more sand base substrate as they love to go around sifting through the base

Oddly everyone is happy and alive this morning. Hoping it stays that way until good bacteria starts to grow. I didn't cycle the tank long enough. Any thought on Tetra Safe Start bacteria?

That is one of the better bottled bacteria products. Try it, it won't do any harm, though it may not work if it has been stored incorrectly at any time since it left the factory.

I believe this is the same issue as was raised in this thread:

You should ask a moderator to combine these threads; more than one on the same issue can get confusing for you and other members.

I will copy over my post from the other thread as it is relevant.

By "starter" I assume one of the bacterial supplements. This should work, but do not add more fish for several weeks and monitor the ammonia and nitrite and do a major water change if either are above zero. Edit: Tetra's SafeStart is excellent, follow the directions.

Before other fish are added, you should sort out a few things. Primarily water parameters; these are hardness (GH) and pH primarily for your source (tap) water. Some fish need harder water, some softer, some manage in between so to speak.

I know there's probably a million threads like this but I'm brand new to the site and joined to get help for my Cory's. I'm a total fish moron (apparently) and I need y'all's help. Had fish as a kid and Bettas as an adult but they seem to tolerate anything. My new Cory's are baffling me tho. I originally got some Cory's for my betta tank, bit decided they were cool and needed their own bigger tank. They weren't healthy for 3 weeks in the betta tank. Well I setup a brand new clean water, new filtertank for them and add 6 neon tetras. All is happy when added to new tank swimming about, within 5 hours all 6 neons dead nose down in tank. 6 hours later my big favourite Julli Cory upsideways, 3 more hrs dead upside down. Soon after peppered Cory acting exactly same, now 8 hrs since then he's dead too. Nerite snails been good the whole time. Brand new baby julli zipping, and 4 red Patty's good, but worry it could all change fast. I feel like the water was soon clean vs the dirty pet store water it killed them...any advice on what's going on? Thanks
So UPDATE....everyone is happy today, doing they're thing. My Peppered Cory which I thought was a goner for sure, still isn't zipping around active, but he's moving, chewing and upright. He's wanting to be left alone and he's slow going, but he has improved alot from struggling to breathe and float sideways. Any advice for reducing bad bacteria once it starts up...I don't really have any good bacteria in there yet to balance it out when levels start to rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back