Help: betta fin rot or fin loss?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

michelleeele

Reaction score
I've had my betta for about 5 months now. I believe he tore his upper fins almost 2 weeks ago. They've been deteriorating slowly every day. I took out all possibly objects that he could've injured him. I've been doing 25% daily WC with aquarium salt. I started using bettafix as well and added Indian almond leaves. Nothing seems to be helping.

5 gallon cycled tank
ph: 8
ammonia: 0-0.25
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
temp: 78-80
tank mates: 2 nerite snails
behavior: normal, active, no changes

The 1st picture was the day he injured himself (is it just torn or?)
The 2nd picture is today (almost 2 weeks later)

Please help, anything would be greatly appreciated. I feel completely helpless and don't want anything to happen to him.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,403
Wow! What a difference! What size is your tank and what are your water parameters? Is the tank cycled? It appears to be only the dorsal fin. This leads me to believe it started with an injury and now has rotted away. I would treat him with aquarium salt and good, clean tank water. Let me know your tank size and water parameters and I can guide you on treatment suggestions.

Hi and welcome!

If the tank is cycled you shouldn’t be seeing any ammonia. Results should always show up at 0.

My apologies. I think it’s injury based and not bacterial. If it were bacterial we would see all of the fins deteriorating. Start with a 75% water change and add 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt. Continue doing large water changes daily. Only add back in the amount of salt that you take out. For example, if you do a 50% water change then add 1/4 tablespoon of salt back in. Continue this until he makes significant improvement. If it continues then you will need to go to antibiotics such as Kanaplex. Good luck. Please keep us posted. Note: Dissolve aquarium salt in some tank water before adding to tank. Otherwise, the salt can sting the fish.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

If the tank is cycled you shouldn’t be seeing any ammonia. Results should always show up at 0.
.25 ammonia is probably just chloramine in the water. My bet is the ammonia source is really ammonium which is nothing to worry about. My water always tests out at .25 ammonia due to chloramine in the water. However, total free ammonia is 0 so mine is ammonium. A lot of people are getting the .25 ammonia reading since municipalities have gone to chloramine instead of chlorine in the water.

.25 ammonia is probably just chloramine in the water. My bet is the ammonia source is really ammonium which is nothing to worry about. My water always tests out at .25 ammonia due to chloramine in the water. However, total free ammonia is 0 so mine is ammonium. A lot of people are getting the .25 ammonia reading since municipalities have gone to chloramine instead of chlorine in the water.
You have a point, I have ammonium show up in my water sometimes :)

It appears @Colin_T is missing

We may need to send out a search party soon lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back