Help a newbie :-)

Gav

Reaction score
Hi,

I came across these forums a few days ago & lurked a bit; you all seem nice people & quite knowledgeable so I wondered if I could ask for some help.

Basically my daughter (aged 8) wants some fish… she’s even picked some she likes… so I've ended up with this list:

2 x Italian Goldfish (light silver with just the top 1/3 a light gold)
2 x some whose name I can’t remember :unsure: but were fantails that are red, gold & have black speckles all over them
2 x shubunkin (red, white and black things :p )

So firstly, will all these fish mix? & if so is there enough room in say a Juwel Rekord 60 tank? (think these are about 12g) I read somewhere that you should have 10g per fish… I assume they were talking about bigger fish that the ones I’ve mentioned above (or do they grow considerably? :blink: )!

If this sort of tank is big enough; are they a good deal? My local shop is selling them without stand for £80-£90; it seems if I bought all the components separately it adds up to about this cost anyway.

Anyway, enough questions. Thanks for any help forthcoming :)

Hi and welcome Gav,

Sorry I'm not familiar with cold water, but I'm sure a member will be along soon who does.

The trouble with gold fish is they all grow so big!! 10 gallons per fish is probably about right, but if even then the fish will not reach their full adult size like if they were in a pond. Goldfish are also very messy and they also use up lots of oxygen and eat all your plants :eek:

I have a goldfish because I think its cool, but I would stick to low numbers especially in a tank that size. You will see adverts/ 'bio orbs' with lots of goldfish in them but the fish will live shorter lives :(

Have you ever considered getting a pond? Or going tropical ?

If you are seriously considering getting another tank I would always go bigger than you think, go as big as your space/money allows.

Hope this helps somewhat I am sure some more experienced coldwater aquarists can help :)

Since it is your young daughter. I would suggest letting her pick out ONE fish at first. Then as her fishkeeping skills improve, she can get more. This strategy will also help you lengthen out the gratification of owning a tank for a child. We all know how more more more is.

I would stay away from Goldfish, and look for a used tank. Much cheaper,and can be readily had.

I don't know if you know anything about the nitrogen cycle in a fish tank, but what GL advises about 1 fish is a good way to start. If you need more info on this then tell I'll explain it but I don't want to have to type it out if you already know it B)

Tropical need not be much more expensive than a coldwater tank plus you get more variety (sorry for trying to sell them but I keep tropicals myself :) )

Plus being smaller you could start of with say 3 or 4. I know how cool some of the goldies can be though so if you want them then go for it, as GL said look for a used tank I think: http://www.loot.co.uk has some or else try your local adds paper, they usually have a bargain or too :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Looks like I'm back to square one then with regards to the size of the fish :p They looked really nice too :(

I can't have a pond 'cos I live in a ground floor flat, lol :fun: but yes that would be something I'd like if I moved to a house but unfortunately stairs and me don't mix too well so that might be a while yet.

Will be looking in the local press for 2nd hand tanks... hadn't thought of that :doh: so thanks for that; might save me a fair bit of dosh :)

Most reactions

Back