Hello!

ElizaRome

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a total newbie, just taken delivery of a Juwel Rio 125 in which we hope to keep some tropical freshwater fish. We've been discussing it for several years so I've done a reasonable amount of research - am ready to do a fishless cycle and will absolutely not add any fish until both ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 (and nitrate levels are low).

We've also done some research into compatible fish for a community tank of this size, and are hoping to introduce a shoal of either Colombian red fin or glass bloodfin tetra once the tank is fully prepared. The idea is to create a (sort of) South American biotope, and I've already bought some mopani wood and coconut caves in preparation for the clown pleco we're hoping to introduce later on. Am also intending to plant with some alternanthera rosaefolia and echinodorus amazonicus.

I've just posted a query regarding the internal Juwel filter - after reading not so great things about its filtration (and little fish potentially getting stuck around it!) I purchased an external filter (Fluval 207), so was all ready to get prising those silicone bits off and remove the internal black box. The only thing that's concerning me is that the heater looks like it's supposed to be placed inside this box as well - so if I remove it, not sure how to fix the heater?

Anyway I am delighted to say hello to this community, and hope everyone is keeping safe and happy.

All the best,

ElizaRome x

Last edited:
Welcome to the madhouse....where all things get very fishy - including some of the replies ;)

This might be of use for your heater, they are available at most aquatic stores and online...and do not cost a packet to buy

:hi:! I’ve got the same tank (bought a few months ago). For what it’s worth - I kept the filter in there and it’s been doing a good job so far, if not a little big!

Can't help specifically with that tank/filter but you can for sure get something to stick your heater to the glass.

Also sounds like you have a great plan for this tank, I would definitely make a journal for it once you get going.

Welcome to TFF, and kudos to you for doing your research before setting up the tank.

Why does everyone ALWAYS get a 125 rio???? Anyways welcome lol

Because they are sold virtually everywhere, and are a nice starter size.

I used to have one :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Angelfish, most tetras, barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

where? they arent sold where i am... or is it from the UK?

Can't help specifically with that tank/filter but you can for sure get something to stick your heater to the glass.

Also sounds like you have a great plan for this tank, I would definitely make a journal for it once you get going.
Thank you so much. Yes, will definitely be recording this in a journal - fingers crossed for a happy story!

Absolutely this! I know a lot of people have them, but popular doesn't necessarily mean bad ;) .

Re. the water here - it's 6.8 pH out of the tap so relatively soft, and I have some mopani wood to add, which I think may lower the pH slightly too. We're planning to keep all South American fish so this will hopefully suit them well. Absolutely open to any feedback at all though, as I really am brand new to this!

I will post a list of our proposed inhabitants (plus quantities) once we have the tank cycled (so may not be back for a year :lol:) and will really value any and all input.

Thank you again ever so much to everyone for the warm welcome and kind comments, it is very much appreciated!

where? they arent sold where i am... or is it from the UK?
Juwel is a German make which is sold everywhere across Europe. I should have added that last bit in my last post :blush:

Juwel is a German make which is sold everywhere across Europe. I should have added that last bit in my last post :blush:
Ah ok... Thats why I never see it around... In the U.S our main aquarium tank brand is aqueon...

Welcome.
As asks upthread please find out your water Hardness, Ph etc before even considering which fish you fancy.

Most reactions

Back