Hello! need advice.......

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Clownez

Reaction score

Hello, I'm new in here. I have a 26 (UK) gallon tank I have just setup in my new house after moving. However, the people who made this house have in their wisdom made the floorboards all bouncy, so everytime I walk past the Aquarium, it makes the cabinet shake every so slightly, making the water ripple. If I walk really heavily past it, I can actually see the cabinet moving :eek: I'm scared! how much can aquarium water be rippled and moved around without it being a problem?

Fanks

I'd get a builder in if I were you - your floor may need bracing. It's not necessarily as big or scary a job as it sounds (builders can buy purpose made struts for such a job) but if you don't do it, you may have a disaster on your hands.

I hate moving. Remind me not to do it again.

Thanks Alien Anna! :alien:

Blimey! Well the house is rented, so I'm not allowed to build anything! :eek:

When I say that the cabinet moves, I can see it shuddering, not actually moving across the floor. :(

Maybe I'll have to look at moving the aquarium to a different part of the house :(

Clownez said:
Thanks Alien Anna! :alien:

Blimey! Well the house is rented, so I'm not allowed to build anything! :eek:
I also hate renting. Never mind. If you move the tank, try putting a sheet of ply under it to distribute the weight a little more evenly. Also, try to work out where the joists that support the floor are - they will be much more stable than the intervening spaces covered in floor-boards. You can tell this by knocking on the floor - the hollow sounding bits are the spaces, the duller sounds should be joists. Try to get your sheet of ply large enough to spread from one joist to another - kind of like flooring an attic. If you have a good hardware shop near you, you could ask advice - that's where I got all this info from! :)

Most reactions

Back