Hello! Here's my introduction

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Damon-Alter

Reaction score
Hi - I'm Damon

I already posted somewhere else so I'm a bit out of order, but here we go. I'm 33, live in Australia and have wanted to own and keep a fish tank for many years and finally decided to get started with my first decent sized tank. I work at a school and I like Beach Volleyball, reading and... escape rooms. I've previously had goldfish in a tiny tank (1 foot if lucky) as a young kid - I pretty much did everything wrong. No filter, no light, 100% water changes only perhaps 2-3 times a year, no water conditioner, straight tap water. Fish straight in from the store. Somehow they both lived about 6 years. Feel free to insert angry emoji.

Thankfully, I'd like to think I've done a bit more research this time which was an easy target to achieve. My current tank setup is a 127L/34 gallon tank with dimensions of 80/38/51 L/D/H (cm). I've got 7 Diamond Tetras and a single male Kribensis who does not appreciate the cave I built for him. I plan on getting 6+ Kuhli Loaches but haven't yet decided on a final inclusion that isn't too aggressive/large/rampant with inbreeding and disease. Something that lives in the middle-top layers of the tank preferably, which makes me feel a bit bad because I feel like hatchetfish are waiting for me to notice them and I'm ignoring them for superficial reasons.

I liked the idea of aquascaping a bit but realised that was getting a bit carried away for a beginner tank, so instead I bought some dragon stone (I really loved the look of the Seiryu, which apparently alters water chemistry continuously, and figured adding that extra responsibility was unwise) which I must say takes an extremely long time to clean (online tips to use bamboo skewers were thoroughly helpful). I then attempted to arrange the stones in an artistic manner which allowed me to discover just how much residue still remained after many, many washes of the substrate. I use Flourite Black Sand as a substrate and have a mixture of crypts and hair grass planted in it. One day I'd like to aquascape some shorter grass over the rocks but until then I needed to settle down and focus on actually keeping fish alive for the first actual tank I was running. I also come to understand that fish keeping is very expensive!

Anyway, that's a decent amount, hopefully at some point I'll have learned enough to provide helpful advice in return!

Thank you - Absolutely!
IMG-0822.JPG

Wow! Looks great. Did you cycle your tank first and are you aware of the aquarium nitrogen cycle? Welcome!

Thanks! Yes and No?

The tank was running for about a month before I put the fish and plants in. Water was initially conditioned with Prime and then as per Seachem instructions with Stability during that month. I have since learned however that this is a poor substitute (if it could even be called one) and become familiar with the nitrogen cycle since coming here this evening. I have been testing regularly since the fish went in (one week ago) and at the moment nitrates are about 20ppm, with zero detectable nitrite or ammonia. I am going to wait a couple of weeks before adding any additional fish just in case and to let the tank settle, with additional water changes.

Thankfully so far so good and all fish appear to be getting on well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back