Hello From South Africa

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Any updates?

L

Hi L, Yes I do have some updates. I may have been absent but certainly not resting on my laurals. The updates are as follows:

1. I have had to move my tank out of my bedroom. Lets just say that my wife was rather insistant that it moves. Maybe it was because I was giving the tank more attention than her. :blush: Anyway the move went well without any problems.

2. I have constructed a sump. This was installed when I did the move. It's amazing how the activity in the tank seems to have picked up since installing it. I have effectivly increased the volume by about 5l. My return pump says that it pumps 500l per hr. The whole sump cost me about $2 to build. I'll post a thread soon.

3. I'm back to inverts, snails and worms. I had a small cigar wrasse but one of the big shrimps had it for breakfast. I also returned the bubble snail to the ocean. Way to much slime for me to be happy.

4. I've also moved my LR around about a million times. OHHHH and I see that I have coraline growing on the back wall. :good:

5. Forgot to mention. I also have a spider starfish that is doing very nicely. I'll post pics soon.

Regards D

Any updates?

L

Hi L, Yes I do have some updates. I may have been absent but certainly not resting on my laurals. The updates are as follows:

1. I have had to move my tank out of my bedroom. Lets just say that my wife was rather insistant that it moves. Maybe it was because I was giving the tank more attention than her. :blush: Anyway the move went well without any problems.

2. I have constructed a sump. This was installed when I did the move. It's amazing how the activity in the tank seems to have picked up since installing it. I have effectivly increased the volume by about 5l. My return pump says that it pumps 500l per hr. The whole sump cost me about $2 to build. I'll post a thread soon.

3. I'm back to inverts, snails and worms. I had a small cigar wrasse but one of the big shrimps had it for breakfast. I also returned the bubble snail to the ocean. Way to much slime for me to be happy.

4. I've also moved my LR around about a million times. OHHHH and I see that I have coraline growing on the back wall. :good:

5. Forgot to mention. I also have a spider starfish that is doing very nicely. I'll post pics soon.

Regards D

Pictures or it didn't happen. Interested in seeing the sump construction. That is, by far, my weakest area in the hobby. I'm terrible with sumps and skimmers.

right lets get some pics in to keep everybody happy.

DSC00713.jpg

Spider starfish. He's doing very well, mostly comes out at night.

Found these guys on my LR. They've been getting bigger since I got the tank started. Can some ID them for me please.
DSC00722.jpg
DSC00723.jpg

Thanks for looking
Regards,
D

Nice star fish.

Banded aiptasia. Or... maybe you are lucky and got some baby curlique anemones, which is also a species of aiptasia technically, but an actual desirable one.

Beautiful color on that coraline algae. :D

L

It's been a bit of a rough week because the pump in my refuge gave up the ghost. I bought another one but the new one is much stronger than the old one so it's created quite a strong flow in the tank. The up side is that everybody in the tank seems to like it.

I also took the plunge today and bought a small rock covered in green star polops. I'll post pics when they open.

Take a look at some of the latest pics of my tank and a shot of a rock pool taken during my lunch break.

2012-03-29135846.jpg

Rock pool full of different colour sea urchins.
2012-03-29202447.jpg

you can see I've also added some sea lettuce to the tank. The hermit go crazy for it.
2012-03-29203440.jpg

2012-03-29203454.jpg

FTS
2012-03-29203305.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Interesting picture of the tide pool.

Glad you were able to fix your pump. I like the coralline you are getting, very nice. :good:

L

I was very excited last night to notice that I have hundreds of teeny weeny "bugs" on the glass of my tank. To small to take a picture ( sorry lljdma, I know how much you like pics). What could it be??

Regards,
Duncan

A pod of some type. Probably copepods. Harmless, fish like to eat them.

L

I bought a small rock with green star polyps on it last week friday. It has still not opened. It seems to make an attempt every so often and then nothing happens. Can anybody advise me? The LFS did say that it would take a while but I didn't think it would be a week or more. :sad:

Regards,
D

I bought a small rock with green star polyps on it last week friday. It has still not opened. It seems to make an attempt every so often and then nothing happens. Can anybody advise me? The LFS did say that it would take a while but I didn't think it would be a week or more. :sad:

Regards,
D

What is your lighting again?

Hi Guys, I've been away for a while but my tank is still going strong. Water changes happen twice a week and everybody is happy. GSP is open and doing great. Seems that it was the hermits hauling their shells over it that was causing the problems. So rude, no manners.
At this point I have to admit that I have made 2 additions.....A beautiful selection of Zoas and a Devil Fire Fish (aka Lion fish). I caught him in one of our local rock pools. Fascinating fish to watch as he hunts for food. I catch baby glass shrimps for him to eat. I'll post pics soon. :hyper:

Regards,
Duncan

I see that my last post on this topic was quite some time ago. A lot has changed since then...1. Venom the lion fish has been moved into my friend's tank because he was getting so big and adding to the increase in nutrients which gave me terrible algae problems. 2. Blasted aiptasia have killed my beautiful Zoas. So I'm currently at war without the UN's permission on the aiptasia enemy. 3. I added some more live rock some time back.
So my plans for now are to get some peppermint shrimps to aid in my war efforts and I'm looking for a bigger tank. The song from abba floats through my head..."if I were a rich man....." :(
Regards,
Duncan
Ps. I'm amazed at the number of views on this topic. Thanks guys! :)

Most reactions

trending

Back